help with a simple file link in html

kevmeister

hi people, i need a little help. I'm building an intranet which will contain links to files that our users will find useful. I've created several links for example:<a href="Images/BasicComputing.doc">Basic Guide</a><a href="Images/General.doc">General Info</a><a href="Images/NewBuyersTraining.doc">Buyer Training</a><a href="Images/Accidentreport.xls">Accident Report Form</a>the first 3 work fine, the last one when clicked, brings up an error message '.../Images/Accidentreport.xls' could not be found.the file is there, the spelling is correct, i linked the files through Adobe GoLive instead of typing the links manually so i know it's right. I tried it on another pc with the same error message appearing. I tried a different page with different links, all work fine except any excel link. HOWEVER, when i click ok to the error message the file loads up fine.is there a ms bug that stops html files linking to excel documents?Thanks for any help/advice.kevin

What type of error do you see? Do you see a normal 404 not found error page? Do you see the error message in a popup box? What does it look like? If the server were reporting 404 then you wouldn't see the file when you click OK, so that doesn't make sense. There might be some issue with a browser plugin for viewing Excel files that is showing the error. If the web server isn't configured to send .xls files then it will usually report 404, but again if that were the case the browser wouldn't load it when you click OK. If you could take a screenshot of your browser showing the error message that might help.

hi there, thanks for your reply.i don't get a 404 error, just a pop up error:error.jpgafter clicking ok, the document loads up normally.the files are not stored on a web server, but on a local server. I just find it so strange that it opens word files but not excel files.it's definitely not my pc as i have now tried 2 other pcs with exactly the same message. strange.thankskevin

Guest FirefoxRocks

Ok you have 2 options here:1. Get the visitor to download the excel file. In that case, the link should look like this:

<a href="Images/Accidentreport.xls" type="application/x-octet-stream">Accident Report Form</a>

2. Put the file on Google Docs and Spreadsheets and link the Excel file to there.

That error message isn't coming from the browser or the server, it's coming from Excel (look at the title bar of the error window). Excel is saying that it's trying to open a file that it can't find for whatever reason. It looks like a bug with Excel somewhere because it still opens the file. It might have to do with the specific version of Excel you're using. I have Office 2003 here and I can create a test page with a link to a .xls file that opens correctly in Opera, IE6, and Firefox.

Archived