xPath basic working problems!!!

Guest clesueur

Guest clesueur

Trying to get my head round xml and xpath but ive tried tutorials with no luck so far.. on "http://blog.opject.org/?page_id=4#Conclusion" the tutorial says i just need the code below for the titles to be traced to the output box but ive done this and i get no output at all!Ive updated XFactorstudio’s XPath files but still nothing happens in the output box!Can anyone help?! am i missing something here? im getting totally lost with this now as i cant get things to work. Thank you... (code and xml info below)import mx.xpath.XPathAPI;var books : XML;books = new XML();books.ignoreWhite = true;books.onLoad = function(success : Boolean) : Void{var titles : Array;titles = XPathAPI.selectNodeList(books.firstChild, "/books/*/title/*");trace( titles );};books.load("books.xml");xml file:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?><books><book id='0'><author>J.R.R. Tolkien</author><title>The Lord of the Rings</title><isbn>0618346252</isbn><price>34.95</price></book><book id='1'><author>Dan Brown</author><title>The Da Vinci Code<title><isbn>1400079179</isbn><price>17.95</price></book></books>

"title" doesn't have any child elements. With the part "title/*", you're telling XPath to get the value of the first child element of "title", regardless of its name. But there's no such element, and thus XPath returns nothing.Use the expression:

"/books/*/title"

instead.

Archived