New to Web Design, need advice!

JohnCP

Hi all, I am extremely intersted in developing good web design skills, particularly using flash and pictures. I'm currently knowledgeable with HTML, CSS, and some javascript. I wanted to mainly try and build graphical and animated websites, so I am also planning on learning Flash (actionscript?) and also try and create my own graphics. Now I know that i'm probably gettin WAAY ahead of myself, but i know that i have the drive to (at least try) and learn everything listed above. My eventual goal is maybe learn some server side stuff and database as well (but for now, that is not too important for my goal). I could really use some good tips and advice from any pros or anyone out there with some experience on what i need to get started. Any good tools, IDE's, books, tutorials out there that comes to mind? I currently have a macbook so that i can also try and do my own graphics. I heard that Adobe CS3 is a pretty powerful bundle to get, as it provides everything to create a web site? Again, any advice is greatly appreicated, hope to meet some good people on this forum....thanks again!JP

You will want to learn about layouts (HTML/CSS), colors (What colors go well with each other, does it go well with the topic of your site, there is a topic on this site that has a link to which colors go well with each other), and typography (Different fonts going well with each other, will they work with the topic of your site, you can get a ton of free fonts online). You will want to get yourself image editors like Photoshop (if you can't afford it, you can use GIMP; it's free), and not everyone will have the same fonts installed on their computer so images will work better with fonts. Some designers will either make a layout and add little things such as backgrounds, rounded corners, etc. or they will make the design with Photoshop and split the image into several parts and use HTML/CSS to put it back together or keep it as a whole. Make sure you know about absolute vs. relative in size because not everyone has the same resolution; your site might look good in smaller ones, but will be a lot of "whitespace" for bigger ones.

I found these helpful when I learnt CSS positioning ..http://www.barelyfitz.com/screencast/html-...ss/positioning/http://www.htmldog.com/guides/cssadvanced/layout/Would be better off reading first one first as it explains it better, but the second takes it a little further. Both worth reading through.For Photoshop I'd recommend going to a site like www.tutorialized.com and just following plenty of tutorials till you get the hang of it better.Adam

Well, to get good with designing, I suppose you just have to try and fail, and just keep going onThat's what I have done since I started with itI'm not very very good at design yet, but I guess that's because I'm doing more PHP and MySQL at the moment

• 1 month later...

For web languages (HTML CSS JS PHP ASP etc...) Use w3schools.com and tizag.com. For Photoshop try tutorialized.com

Archived