domain name scam

real_illusions

hi all.This probably only affects those in the UK and own domain names.I recieved a postal letter from "domain registry of america" about transferring the domain name over to themselves from my current domain registrar.This is a scam, so do not send them any payments or anything of the sort.A quick search on google for "domain registry of america" comes up with these - http://www.nameroute.com/domain-registry-of-america.htmlhttp://www.domainnameshop.co.uk/z_info_scams.phpSo, if you do, report them to any fair trading government organisations, as i will too.:)

It's generally a good idea not to respond to any unsolicited email that asks you to do anything. If you get an email asking for your checking account number, it doesn't matter who it appears to be from, it's probably best that you not reply.

There are a lot of companies that sned spam like that. I get regular emails from a company claiming to own domain names that are related to my sites and will sell it to me for only $199. If you look at their site closer (or do a simple whois) it is obvious they don't own the domains and are really just offering a domain "waiting list" and try and get you the domain if it is dropped.

Emails maybe, but what real_illusions is talking about is snail mail, a paper letter if you prefer.Now THAT is something new. A snail mail spam... who'd have guessed.

I get snail mail spam all the time. It's not for internet-related things, it's grocery store ads and mortgage loan applications and other crap I don't want, but it's still spam.
Me too, but I like to call those "advertisments" since they are at least thruthy most of the times, whereas this is a complete scam.

I have expereinced that although it is more likely due to poor record keeping than scamming. When registering domains for clients we always use our company email address and mail address for administrative contact. After transfering a domain for a client we started getting mail from the old registrar saying that the domain was going to expire and that we should pay them.

Archived