Change of file name

kurt.santo

As the content in my website is pulled in with includes the file names are always in English. Is there a way to make them German when someone put "?lang=de" onto the querystring? Also, I always wondered what do search engines do when they encounter the link with the querystring (<a href="?lang=de">?Kurt

If you want to use language-specific files then you need to set up a big lookup table where you store all the different filenames for all the different languages that you can use to look up which file to use on a specific page with a specific language. It sounds like more work then it's worth.

Also, I always wondered what do search engines do when they encounter the link with the querystring (<a href="?lang=de">?
Nothing different then for any other page. It looks at the content.

Also, I always wondered what do search engines do when they encounter the link with the querystring (<a href="?lang=de">?
The robot will be able to append the rest of the URL onto that, so if it is at http://www.mydomain.com/ and the link is to ?lang=de then it will augment them and get http://www.mydomain.com/?lang=de , go to that page and read it.

You need to organize the table however you want to look things up, so maybe by page and by language. So it will be a multidimensional array where you can look up a value with the other two values.

$lookup = array();$lookup['index.php']['en'] = 'index_en.php';$lookup['index.php']['de'] = 'index_de.php';$lookup['index.php']['fr'] = 'index_fr.php';$lookup['contact.php']['en'] = 'contact_en.php';

etc, however you want to set it up. Then you would check $lookup[$page][$lang] to see what to use.

You need to organize the table however you want to look things up, so maybe by page and by language. So it will be a multidimensional array where you can look up a value with the other two values.
$lookup = array();$lookup['index.php']['en'] = 'index_en.php';$lookup['index.php']['de'] = 'index_de.php';$lookup['index.php']['fr'] = 'index_fr.php';$lookup['contact.php']['en'] = 'contact_en.php';

etc, however you want to set it up. Then you would check $lookup[$page][$lang] to see what to use.

Cheers. Will give it a go to see how it works. Might be very useful for anohter project...Kurt

Archived