languages

smiles

You mean the difference between Scripting Languages and Programming Langagues?The main difference is that Scripting Languages are light-weight striped-down versions of Programming Languages. Usually you don't need any Programming skills to use Scripting Languages.

You mean the difference between Scripting Languages and Programming Langagues?The main difference is that Scripting Languages are light-weight striped-down versions of Programming Languages.  Usually you don't need any Programming skills to use Scripting Languages.

How is that?? PHP or ASP programmer don't have/need skill??? It requires a different approach/type of skill. You have probably insulted a lot of people with that comment...including me. I use ASP and ASP.Net. While they are different both do require a lot of skill.The main difference is that yes scripting languages are stripped down (some) so they have don't have as much power. But the biggest difference is OOP (Object Oriented Programming). Scripting languages do not have objects...you can break up the code into functions, etc. Other languages like JAVA, ASP.Net, C++, etc allow you to create objects and classes and they can be easily reused on multiple pages/forms.

How is that?? PHP or ASP programmer don't have/need skill??? It requires a different approach/type of skill. You have probably insulted a lot of people with that comment...including me. I use ASP and ASP.Net. While they are different both do require a lot of skill.The main difference is that yes scripting languages are stripped down (some) so they have don't have as much power. But the biggest difference is OOP (Object Oriented Programming). Scripting languages do not have objects...you can break up the code into functions, etc. Other languages like JAVA, ASP.Net, C++, etc allow you to create  objects and classes and they can be easily reused on multiple pages/forms.

I thought the main difference between scripting languages and programming languages is that programming languages are compiled code, where as scripting languages are interpreted.And I do agree that scripting languages do take skill to use, if they didn't you wouldn't see ASP/ASP.NET developers getting paid so well. :)

Yes you are right being compiled code is another big difference, but IMO OOP is the biggest, most significant difference.ASP.Net can be written as compiled code or as scripting...I like having the choice based on what I need the app to do.

How is that?? PHP or ASP programmer don't have/need skill??? It requires a different approach/type of skill. You have probably insulted a lot of people with that comment...including me. I use ASP and ASP.Net. While they are different both do require a lot of skill.

Dude I said USUALLY, don't get uptight with me. That is how it's defined on OTHER websites. Take a chill pill and if you're going to get all defensive with me, then get it with everyone else in this great big world that have defined it like that on THOUSANDS of websites.There's a difference between "scripting skills" and "programming skills" so just chill the heck out.What I meant was, you usually don't need to know how to PROGRAM applications if all you're going to do is insert a small SCRIPT somewhere.Don't tell me you're THAT obtuse to think I was insulting anyone.Your post just insulted my intellegence and everyone elses that reads it.

I'm just saying, if you work with wood for a living, you don't *need* to know how to build a house.Now, if you're going to build a house, then you need to know how to work with wood.Same thing I was saying, you don't *need* programming skills to write small scripts. You NEED scripting skills to write small scripts.Just like you need to know how to work with wood if you want to build a small bird feeder, but you do NOT need to know how to build a house to build a small bird feeder.Now, if I seemed upset eariler in my reply, it's because you said I was "insulting" all programmers when it was VERY obvious that I was NOT.

ok...I just forget there are actually people out there who would rather find a pre-made script than build it them selves...I guess you have to like programming.On hte other hand I have seen many people struggle through small scripts (i'm talking hello world here) because they couldnt grasp any programming concept. But I realize thats not the majority.

Pretty much yeah. Although I usually write my own scripts, I have copied a few from other sites.But even if you write your own script, doesn't always mean you're programming.<?php$fee = "Hello";$fi = "aspnetguy";$foe = "How are you";$fum = "Today?";echo $fee . $fi . $foe . $fum;?>That's a script, but not a program :)

well , I 'd like your discussion , Eric and Aspnetguy , I think that experience comes from experience which comes from our failures , it gives us skill and who has much skill they can say skill ' language well :) I don't want to stop this topic here , let 's continue if someone has any difference else :)

Scripting languages are textual directions, programming languages are interpretted to binary code. Happy =)?

computer works based on binary code 1 and 0 or 'on' and 'off' , script language is not an exception :( that maybe an important thing , Programming need compiler to convert commands into binary code as ~Shinta said , script language has no need with compiler , so what converts commands in script into binary code :D

so what converts commands in script into binary code  :)

A prewritten to binary code application specialized for this task...a.k.a. Browser :)

Personally, I was insulted - just so you know.You cannot say:

...Now, if I seemed upset eariler in my reply, it's because you said I was "insulting" all programmers when it was VERY obvious that I was NOT.

Who are you to determine whether or not I was insulted by something you said. If anything, you were OBVIOUSLY doing just that. Heck, I'd argue HTML coding (which we all know is not technically programming) takes skill - especially after the legacy crap I've come across over the years. I'd suggest you not be so assumptuous with the statements you make. I'd also suggest you tone it down a little when you have a disagreement with someone. If you keep calm and stay rational, you'll look like less a fool when all is said and done.Respectfully,Skemcin.

Sorry to all that I seem to have "insulted".But like I said before you do not need to know how to build a house to build a birdbath.Different languages require different amount of experience, or "skills".I NEVER said that you don't need skills to use a scripting language and that's the misunderstanding you people seem to be having with what I said.You couldn't comprehend what I'm trying to say, and you twisted my words around.By the way, obtuse means "difficult to comprehend : not clear or precise in thought or expression". So I was valid in using that word.Do you need skill to use a scripiting language, YES. But do you need as much skill as a programming language, NO.Lots of people on several websites have said that, even W3Schools has said that!http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_intro.asp

JavaScript gives HTML designers a programming tool - HTML authors are normally not programmers, but JavaScript is a scripting language with a very simple syntax! Almost anyone can put small "snippets" of code into their HTML pages
That bascally says it right there, you don't need to know how to program or use a programming language to be able to use a scripting language.If I insulted you, then so did W3Schools.

The quote you cite specifically refers to HTML - and every should understand that HTML is not a scripting or programming language. Your comment implied that you were speaking of laguages like cold fusion, asp, and php - that is what got the reaction.If you are going to cite someone elses beliefs, make sure you understand in which context they are being used - that is your error in this situation.What you quote from w3schools:

you don't need to know how to program or use a programming language to be able to use a scripting language.
is not what you said. You said:
you don't need any Programming skills to use Scripting Languages
Now look closely at the difference . . . The first says you do not need to know how to program or use a programming language to be bale to copy-n-paste prebuilt snippets of code. You mention that you don;t need programming skills to use scripting languages.The reason why I was insulted is because that implies tha tI have no programming skills because I am using a scripting language. Although I may not know how to use a programming language, I still use the skills commonly associated with programming in order to make my applications portable and expandable.I admit its a fine line and that is why I honestly said nothing when initially reading the post. I only stepped in later when the discussion turned away from the initial point.Having said all that, any other points that need to made on this topic ought ot be made through Private Message so that the initial question can be resolved. If any replies not related to resolving the issue appear, they will be removed.Additionally, any apology that is followed by a "but" is NO apology.

Programming need compiler to convert commands into binary code as ~Shinta said , script language has no need with compiler  , so what converts commands in script into binary code  :)

An interpreter. as boen_robot said, for Javascript it is a browser, for ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, and ASP.NET it is their respective applications. That is why one of the first things mentioned for those scripting languages is installing the necessary application to run the scripts. Due to this, scripting languages generally take longer to run than programming languages because a programming language has already been compiled to machine code and is made as efficient as possible, but a scripting language must be interpreted to machine code and then run...just one extra step that compiled code doesn't have to deal with. The difference in time between the two though will not be significant until you start getting into large programs.The advantage of scripting languages is that it is easier to make changes and run through and test them, because you don't have to re-compile after each change, where as a programming language requires a re-compile, which if your program has a lot of pieces can take a while and is definitely a nuissance when making changes frequently during development or making a small change in one object out of 100's and having to recompile it all as a result.Finally, one of the big disadvantages with scripting languages is that the code is available for all to see, although from what ASPNetGuy has said in other posts, I think ASP.NET allows you to do some compiling, but I am not sure on that.------Eric, as for how much skill it takes, look into LISP, its a scripting language but I guarantee you that a beginner would be lost...I was for a week or two when I messed with it, and I had taken quite a few programming classes. And if I hadn't had programming experience it would have taken me twice as long. On the flip side, I have seen people with no experience write programs in VB and even some simple ones in C/C++. I think the skill debate boils down to what you are using and what you are trying to do. Anything can be easy or hard depending on the task and the tool.

An interpreter. as boen_robot said, for Javascript it is a browser, for ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, and ASP.NET it is their respective applications. That is why one of the first things mentioned for those scripting languages is installing the necessary application to run the scripts. Due to this, scripting languages generally take longer to run than programming languages because a programming language has already been compiled to machine code and is made as efficient as possible, but a scripting language must be interpreted to machine code and then run...just one extra step that compiled code doesn't have to deal with. The difference in time between the two though will not be significant until you start getting into large programs.The advantage of scripting languages is that it is easier to make changes and run through and test them, because you don't have to re-compile after each change, where as a programming language requires a re-compile, which if your program has a lot of pieces can take a while and is definitely a nuissance when making changes frequently during development or making a small change in one object out of 100's and having to recompile it all as a result.Finally, one of the big disadvantages with scripting languages is that the code is available for all to see, although from what ASPNetGuy has said in other posts, I think ASP.NET allows you to do some compiling, but I am not sure on that.------Eric, as for how much skill it takes, look into LISP, its a scripting language but I guarantee you that a beginner would be lost...I was for a week or two when I messed with it, and I had taken quite a few programming classes. And if I hadn't had programming experience it would have taken me twice as long. On the flip side, I have seen people with no experience write programs in VB and even some simple ones in C/C++. I think the skill debate boils down to what you are using and what you are trying to do. Anything can be easy or hard depending on the task and the tool.

well , I had understood , it seems easy to me nowI also feel sorrow about what happened , hope all is misunderstanding , we are IT ones ( ... not me , I'm going to be an electrical engineer :) ) , any languages are create by someone 's heart , lets give it an sincere look :)

@ Skemcin, you lied about something. I didn't quote W3Schools, I just re-worded what I said the first time. Too bad people kept misunderstanding me and a re-word was needed.I PMed you, as you said "take it to PM".I just wanted people in here to know I DIDN'T QUOTE W3SCHOOLS when I said you don't need to know how to program or use a programming language to be able to use a scripting language.Had I quoted them, it would have been within the

tag.Don't lie just to make me seem like the bad one!untitled6at.th.jpg"quoted from W3Schools" that total BS and you know it! :)Skemcin you crossed the line when you made that outragious claim that I quoted that from W3Schools. It came from my own head, and it was EXACTLY what I wrote the first time, just re-worded because people were mis-reading it and saying I said one thing when I really said another.How dare you......

you're right - I should have used the word cited or interpreted instead of quoted - but you use and quote w3schools to support your point:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...findpost&p=8074Like you, I also feel that members need to see where the truth lies.(pun intended)Even though we both have said our peace - its unfortunate that this will continue (hopefully for not long) in PM.:-(

Don't lie just to make me seem like the bad one!
well , noone think that , you are here and I see you help many people ( me in it )so you are kind one .I think that everyone should be more fair , it 's a discussion not a war so what Eric says is his outlook not outrage , he protects his idea , that 's his policy , if anyone doesn't agree with it , they can find ways to prove that 's wrong , shouldn't protect your bad thinking of him :D Eric , I had seen your example again <?php$fee = "Hello";$fi = "aspnetguy";$foe = "How are you";$fum = "Today?";echo $fee . $fi . $foe . $fum;?>I wonder if you are you at the first time know it , you can't write it easily and think of the next several years when you don't have much time to think of it , write it again is not easy too , so everything is not simple to time , if something made you thought writing it need no much skill , I think that is your skill :( and ...Skemcin , take a look , you are Moderator :)Have a nice day ! :)