How did you learn HTML?

skaterdav85

A combination of things. I took a class on web design in school, but that was more for dreamweaver. W3 schools taught me quite a bit. The thing that probably helped me the most, though, was just looking at source codes of various web pages. I started with the more simple styles and moved up towards more difficult ones, trying to replicate them along the way.

I learnt it through my own experiments until I started coming to W3Schools. After that I looked through every tutorial there and learnt what I could.I always say W3schools is the best place I've ever seen to learn web languages.

I leant html in seconday school, firstly by looking at a page that had all the basic tags on ie h1, p, br, table. The rest i learnt from looking at other peoples source code, same goes with most my javascript and css. And after a basic tutoral on setting up apache, mysql and php and the basics of make, getting and printing that, then everything else in php i learnt the php manuel by searching for commands as an when needed. I learnt xhtml from w3school thought but I only bothered looking that up about 2 months ago.

I started with HTML in the 90s and learned most of what I know from the early books on the subject. I took a break from web stuff for a while due to the demands from my job (a was a hobbyist). I recently volunteered to Webmaster a website for a non-profit group and started studying again. I finished the Head First book on HTML and CSS. It was a great refresher and I knew nothing of XHTML or CSS. I'm currently reading my second Head First book, JavaScript. Personally I like to read a book more than read online. W3Schools has been a great help for me when I need current programming practices explained.

I started with HTML in the 90s and learned most of what I know from the early books on the subject. I took a break from web stuff for a while due to the demands from my job (a was a hobbyist). I recently volunteered to Webmaster a website for a non-profit group and started studying again. I finished the Head First book on HTML and CSS. It was a great refresher and I knew nothing of XHTML or CSS. I'm currently reading my second Head First book, JavaScript. Personally I like to read a book more than read online. W3Schools has been a great help for me when I need current programming practices explained.
ya i just ordered the head first javascript book. how is it? i thought the headfirst book for html,xhtml, and css was really good and pretty detailed.

The Head First books are designed for the ultra-beginner. They cover much of the very basics of the topic at hand. So far, I'm on chapter #4 of HF-JavaScript after finishing the HF-HTML/XHTML/CSS book. Much of the examples are refreshing for me to get back up to speed. I use some of the examples, but not all. I can skim a chapter and I'm fine. If you are just getting aquainted with web programing and are very new to the subject, reading all of the chapters would be wise. BTW-I submitted two pages of the website that I'm redesigning to the W3C Validator Service and they passed!

I leaned XHTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL on w3schools it has been alot of help.
Me too. All from W3Schools. The only thing I learned elsewhere was how to install Windows, Apache, PHP and MySQL, and I also learned some basic PHP (echo $_GET['something']) from another site (can't remember the name...) back when the PHP tutorial was not that well developed. Back in the early days I used XAMPP, but as soon as I wanted to do XSLT in PHP, I realized that reasons like that (read: extensibility) is the number one reason why everyone I saw reccomended not using pre made packages.

I learned HTML originally in Dreamweaver MX. The references built in help a lot. Then I moved on to w3schools.com. I have probably 50+ other sources I have used for specific design/development techniques but I use w3schools the most.

I first began learning with Laura Lemay's Teach Yourself Web Publishing With HTML 4 in 14 Days way back in '96 or so. Over the years I only dabbled off and on with designing basic pages as I'm employed as a cad drafter and married with kids so I've not had a lot of time for it. W3schools has been the best online resource otherwise. I'm still not that great at it, but that's OK. I have fun when I am doodling around.

In the early 90s, there wasn't much to go on. Then again, there wasn't much to learn. You copied and pasted and tweaked. Then wrote out your own. To really learn the rules, you went to sites where people thought they knew what they were doing and had set up lessons. You learned how to make a font bigger. What the headings did. Italics, bold, underline. Links, of course. And there wasn't much else. The coolest thing to do was have a page of links to your favorite sites, which made sense at the time because there weren't that many.Then Netscape appeared and introduced all these way-cool NON-COMPLIANT tags. Inline gifs. Background gifs. And suddenly the new cool thing was to plaster your page with background gifs that made reading your text darned near impossible. One day I learned how to make an interlaced gif and everyone I knew wanted to do that too. Of course, most people had 14K modems at home and 56K at work, so interlacing was important.And frames! Wow! The day that came out, I ran down the hall to show people. I still build pages some times with a menu in one frame and content in the other.Once you had the basics and kind of an attitude toward layout and stuff, picking up new tags wasn't that hard. I use an editor now, but only for the easy indenting and colorations. I hard code everything. I almost never look in the layout window, because it never gets the css right, especially with divs. And then you get dynamic with JS and AJAX, so what's the point? I just load the page in my browser and save and reload etc. Just like everybody else, right? A lot of the time I code in plain TextEdit. Before that it was SimpleText. (Yeah, I'm a Mac guy.)Now that there's so much going on, with CSS, (X)HTML, the DOM, and JS, I use W3S as my reference. Best site around.

Archived