Cool learning experience

shadowayex

Ok, if you go to http://www.ford.com/ there's 5 things that when you move the mouse over them, a little box comes down. I wanted to try this but upon looking at the source, I found a mess of things that I can't decipher. I try finding it on other sites, but other sites that do have similar options...once again a mess of code I can't decipher. Can someone tell me how to do that or anything similar? I think it'd be a cool thing to learn and implement in my experiments.

Javascript could do similar, but it really would take much more work than to do it in flash. And to make a full page as dynamic as theirs you really do need flash.

There are advantages and disadvantages for both HTML/JS/PHP and Flash. HTML with SS and DHTML will load faster, but you cannot get the same graphic complexity as Flash. However, Flash files load slow and search engines have a harder time indexing Flash pages. So... yes, I would suggest learning HTML/JS/PHP first, but it is up to you. You can also have Flash components in HTML pages, I suppose.

Ok, well, I'll stick to the JS and PHP then. I'm pretty far along in learning them anyways. Any other suggestions on what to learn? I know (X)HTML, CSS (in styling means, not like the drop down menus and that really advanced stuff), and I've dived into some PHP and JS. Other than that, I don't really know much else.

Keep learning PHP. There is a lot there to learn. The same with Javascript. If you think you know everything that Javascript can do, take a look at the code for ExtJS.
Thank you, I'll keep plugging away at it.

Archived