Wouldn't it be good for IE to not exist !

djp1988

How nice would that be !  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How nice would that be If IE didn't exist !

• Yes
    • No

Bump? I want to see what people think. (Why isn't it that when someone votes the thread is bumped)?

Well, CSS works fine in IE7 for me. It's making it work for firefox and opera that isn't cooperating.
Well, if you started developing with those in mind first then the one that would be hard to develop for is Internet Explorer.All the browsers follow W3C standards except for Internet Explorer.

IE follows a different "box model" (how is interprets width padding and margin) from other browsers. So, while your CSS may be valid, IE reads it differently from other browsers, causing weird rendering.Wikipedia article on the issue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_box_model_bug

I always have problems with IE. If my code works for other browsers, it doesn't for IE. If it does for IE, it doesn't for others. Drop down menus are a pain, and I always have to use additional IE coding.I recently struggled for days and failed to align a footer bar in IE7. Then when I downloaded version 7.0.5730.13, the whole thing aligned fine. That's great, but what about all the people out there on a gazillion different versions, each seeing things a different way?It's common knowledge that IE is a web designer's worst enemy.

If you ever add elements dynamically, IE can be very picky about the order in which you assign attributes. For example (YMMV), I created a div and put some text inputs inside it, then gave them content, dimension, etc. Then I appended the node, fully described. Firefox, Opera, and Safari had no problems with this. IE7 refused to render the Div correctly. I finally discovered that it wasn't letting me add content until I had specified the Div's dimensions.It makes a kind of sense. Where you gonna fit your content if the div has no width or height? But we're not talking about a house here, either. And nothing gets rendered till the node gets appended anyway.So now I know how to do it, and coding for IE in this respect is no more time-consuming than not. It was the puzzle-solving that was so irritating. AND the fact that none of this has anything to do with W3C specs. (Unless I missed a paragraph, W3C is mute on the sequence of assigning attributes.)My MAIN reason for developing on Firefox? The error console and DOM inspector. Every broswer should have such high-quality, built-in tools. The DOM inspector is like a box of crackerjacks, and the console lets you test JS snippets, whole functions even if you remember to use semicolons between statements. What a timesaver.OK. Rant over.

I am an IE disliker, see here with a passion; however, I voted NO, because without a bad browser, one would not know a good browser.

To have light, One must have dark
Yes, the ZEN of the internet. And painters, photographers, and filmmakers alike know this.Of course now that we know bad, we should get rid of it. the trouble is the idiots who do not know anything about computers and use IE only because they do not know any better and are brainwashed.believe me. I know plenty of them, and as often as I tell them to how to fix their troubles, they still do not listen.AC

How nice would that be If IE didn't exist ![] Yes [] No
"How" is not really a yes/no question, but whatever. :)What would be nice is if IE could just get standards compliant. I have no problems with the browser other than that, and it may exist or not without me caring. If people want a browser with less useful features that's also slower, fine by me. Meanwhile, I'll use Opera. The only problem with IE is having to develop spesifically for it.

Archived