Use phpMyAdmin on local machine only

kurt.santo

Trying to digest the readme file from phpmyadmin (finally found some time to get started). There is one general thing that is important and I cannot find the answer to:How do you generally develop databases? On my webspace you can create databases, names are given automatically. I would have thought that if you name your local database exactly as this one it should be no problem to develop everything offline and when finished uploading the files onto the live server. Am I right?Also, in same context: if you are using phpMyAdmin only on local machine then it should also be fine to use 'config' authentication only, shouldn't it?Kurt

Most applications have a configuration file with variables like the database server, database name, etc. When I move an application somewhere I modify the one file that has all the settings in it and upload everything, that's the typical way it's done. The most common things that change are the database server, database name, database user, and database password.Config authentication is fine if the outside world does not have access to phpMyAdmin.

Most applications have a configuration file with variables like the database server, database name, etc. When I move an application somewhere I modify the one file that has all the settings in it and upload everything, that's the typical way it's done. The most common things that change are the database server, database name, database user, and database password.Config authentication is fine if the outside world does not have access to phpMyAdmin.
Thanks for sharing your experience.Few more questions in same context: Do you use phpMyAdmin with live database as opposed to work on current copy on your machine and then upload the whole thing again? Or is this too cumbersome after you have modified the configuration file? Do you keep a copy of the offline configuration file as such? Also, if you use it for live databases, what authentication would you recommend?Kurt

I use phpMyAdmin locally to develop and test. Once I have it working I export the database and import it to the live server using phpMyAdmin on the other server. I typically only need to upload the config file once, if I'm making changes I'm usually not changing the config file, so I just upload the changed files.

I use phpMyAdmin locally to develop and test. Once I have it working I export the database and import it to the live server using phpMyAdmin on the other server. I typically only need to upload the config file once, if I'm making changes I'm usually not changing the config file, so I just upload the changed files.
Thanks for your input. This gives me a good idea.Kurt

Archived