Help with my frames validation please...

skivvia

I am relatively new to webdesign, and am building my own site. So far I have got everything to be valid and look OK in IE and Firefox apart from my frame layout validation (and my husband's work computer showing google ads below the text rather that to the right, but I think that may be a padding/margin thing). Looking around on the web, I have not found how to fix them/suitable alternatives. The website displays fine, but I am a stickler for trying to do things correct...A summary of the validation problems are:Line 26, Column 29: there is no attribute "BORDER".Line 26, Column 43: there is no attribute "FRAMEBORDER".Line 26, Column 54: there is no attribute "COLOR".Line 26, Column 76: there is no attribute "FRAMESPACING".Line 26, Column 89: there is no attribute "NORESIZE".I am aware of the wide dislike of frames, but want my website set up so that I can modify the text on the top and left panes, and have it carry across to all content pages without having to update every one. If there is a way to do this without frames, I will happily consider, otherwise comments on the current correct way to set the above parameters I am having problems with will be appreciated. If you want to have a look at the site and offer suggestions, it is located here: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~whitesemails/index.htmThanksOlivia :) Here is the script on my frame page:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd"><html><head><title>4WD custom tips and tricks</title><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><meta name="description" content="Travel adventurers: Travel ideas and 4WD modifications"><meta name="keywords" content="4WD,Patrol, Landcruiser, Pajero, outback, travel, bush, camping, adventure, holiday, modification, accessories, custom, water tank, suspension, air compressor, wheels, tyres, dual battery"><meta name="author" content="White sands"><meta name="revisit-after" content="15 days"><meta name="document-classification" content="Internet"><meta name="document-rating" content="General"><META NAME=robots CONTENT="index,follow"><script type="text/JavaScript"><!--function MM_openBrWindow(theURL,winName,features) { //v2.0  window.open(theURL,winName,features);}//--></script></head><frameset cols="100%" border=0 frameborder="no" color="ff0000" framespacing="0" noresize="noresize">		<frameset cols ="166,*">		<frame src="left.htm" name="left" scrolling="no" noresize="noresize">				<frameset cols="100%">			<frameset rows="160,*">				<frame src="top.htm" name="top" scrolling="no" noresize="noresize">									<frame src="body.htm" name="body" scrolling="yes" noresize="noresize">			</frameset>		</frameset>	</frameset><NOFRAMES><body>             <p>Travel adventurers: Travel ideas and 4WD modifications</p>        <p> Your browser does not support frames. Please enable frames to view this site</p></body>   </NOFRAMES></frameset></html>

• 1 month later...

It has taken me a while to get my head around Javascript and AJAX, but I think I am finally ready to loose my frames!!But this is where I come unstuck...My site layout has a top "frame" and side "frame", which stay the same and contain menus, and a body "frame", which contains the main site material. (it it better to replace there with divs or a table?) I would like a unique site address for each body page (so it can be linked to from external sites). How do I structure this? I have worked out how to have the top and left "frames" constant, and change the body "frame" by calling in the text. But this won't give each page a unique address. hellppp??

You can use the #hash part of the URL. So, when you call your AJAX load function, the hash (window.location.hash) is changed. This will update the address bar and history but will not reload the page. Then, when your page first loads you can check for the existence of a hash in the URL and load the according page (so if the address was index.php#about then the "about" page could be loaded).

Archived