Microsoft Yahoo...

Jonas

Microsoft wants to purchase YahooWhat do you guys think of this? Microsoft objected when Google was trying to buy Doubleclick, because it would give Google too big a share on bannerads, which they could easily then monopolize. What about this deal? Consider, if Microsoft gets to buy Yahoo, I'm sure IE will be ported with Yahoo toolbar. The MSN search engine and Yahoo will be spliced. Microsoft will severely increase the number of their email "customers", combining both the hotmail adresses and yahoo adresses. Yahoo IM and MSN Live Messenger will probably be combined somehow. Also, the image service Flickr is a Yahoo product. Plus, Microsoft will have access to search data from Yahoo, which, while not the size of Google, is still quite a lot. With their current 1.6% of facebook, they'll probably soon be looking to increase that stock share as well.Profiles: Microsoft and YahooAnalysis: Microsoft and Yahoo's shotgun marriageBlog: Microsoft and Yahoo: Perfect partners?

I would rather see the deal not go through, and I believe Yahoo agrees with that. The offer for $44 billion was unsolicited, the Yahoo execs are considering it. Google has also stepped in and the CEO of Google has offered his company's assistance to the CEO of Yahoo to keep MS out. Google has to be careful there because as the largest company in search and advertising they can't help their main rival too much or the regulators will start to question that. But there might be a deal that Google can make with Yahoo so that Yahoo doesn't need to accept Microsoft's offer.

The offer for $44 billion was unsolicited, the Yahoo execs are considering it.
Funny too really, considering 1.6% of Facebook went for $15 billion.

Well, I think facebook is overvalued. That's just what Microsoft paid for the stock, that doesn't mean it's actually worth that much money. The Yahoo offer was made for $31 per share, which might also be overvalued. But Microsoft really wants to compete more with Google, and this is how they plan to do it. Just as Google is going after Microsoft's Office income by helping to fund OpenOffice, so is Microsoft going after Google's search and advertising income.

i would like to see microsoft and yahoo die...oh wait did i say that out loud? :)Anyway...i dont want to see the deal go through either..not sure why, just dont think it should. microsoft and yahoo seem 2 completely different companies with 2 different aims on the internet and computer world.

I would like to see Yahoo! incorporated with Google.
That's about the last thing I want. Competition is important, despite Google literally dominating the search engine competition. It's a bit like saying you want Apple incorporated with Microsoft.

Competition is important
Alliance is important too. But I understand what you mean. I would like to see them togheter becouse I'd be curious on how will they manage all that work, and how will they use all those possibilities. Just an idea, just an utopia. Maybe.

Google and Yahoo do have somewhat of an alliance in that both of them are competing with Microsoft and MS would love to kill either of them (especially Google). This bid from Microsoft is a hostile takeover bid - they aren't doing this to make friends or save Yahoo, they're doing it so that once they buy Yahoo they will control the majority of IM and email accounts online and it will give them another platform to compete with Google in the search and advertising market. They have their own search engine, which is a good one, but no one uses it. The only people who do probably have it set as their default search in IE. If Google incorporated Yahoo then Google would control 80% of the search market, and regulators wouldn't let that happen. If Microsoft incorporated Yahoo then Microsoft would control 34% to Google's 57%. Google wants to avoid that, they want to see Microsoft stay at around 10% and Yahoo around 24%. Google is willing to form somewhat of an alliance with Yahoo to stop that from happening.