phpMyAdmin installation problem

kurt.santo

I have trouble installing phpMyAdmin. After clicking onto create setup script I find that I cannot save the newly created config file as the button "save" and "load" are greyed out.What and where would I need to change things? I saw that you need create a config directory, which is writable, but I do not know how to do this... Also, I am not 100% sure that this is my problem...Kurt

The best thing to do is just follow the installation instructions to the letter, I'm not sure what conditions they check for to grey out the buttons. Helping you would mean going through the documentation and asking you if you did every step, so you might as well just do that yourself.

The best thing to do is just follow the installation instructions to the letter, I'm not sure what conditions they check for to grey out the buttons. Helping you would mean going through the documentation and asking you if you did every step, so you might as well just do that yourself.
I read the documetation and litterally go now one step at a time. I know where the problem lies, but don't know how to solve it:Created folder "config", but now the documentation says "ensure that your web server has read and write access to it". How to do this the documentation gives an FAQ:1.26 I just installed phpMyAdmin in my document root of IIS but I get the error "No input file specified" when trying to run phpMyAdmin.This is a permission problem. Right-click on the phpmyadmin folder and choose properties. Under the tab Security, click on "Add" and select the user "IUSR_machine" from the list. Now set his permissions and it should work.I use the Apache Server, running Windows XP. I right-clicked the phpMyAdmin folder and allowed access for all network users. It shows not the hand under the phpMyAdmin folder. Still, when I refresh the phpMyAdmin page the browser still displays the buttons greyed out. And as long as they are greyed out I cannot create the config file as this one needs to be saved.Have a phpMyAdmin book and it suggests on a Linux server to create a the config folder and set the permissons as:cd phpMyAdminmkdir configchown kurt.users configchmod o+rwx configDon't know how you would do this with Windows...Kurt

Finally manged to save my config file and load the phpMyAdmin welcome screen. Now there is another error message now displaying "The mbstring PHP extension was not found and you seem to be using a multibyte charset. Without the mbstring extension phpMyAdmin is unable to split strings correctly and it may result in unexpected results." Checked the ext folder and dll file is in there. Also, removed ";" from line "extension=php_mbstring.dll". There are few lines as ";mbstring.http_input = auto" etc where particular two strike me as odd. They are ";mbstring.language = Japanese" and ";mbstring.internal_encoding = EUC-JP". Why would that be Japanese (although not active)? Bought this laptop from a German, so hence the operating system is German (which is a pain in the neck;-)), but why Japanese?Any help appreciated,Kurt

As for the Japanese: It says in comment "language for internal character representation". Why would that be in Japanese? Currently those lines are commented out, so no danger, but still strange...Got again into the trap of not re-starting the webserver, good point. When I opened phpMyAdmin today it did not display the error again...Kurt

Archived