Need some help getting started

Dynamo

Hi y'all. First of all, great site. So, im a totall newbie when it comes to webdesign, i read the Web Primer and got somewhat of a clue bout how things work etc,now im wondering where to go next? there's just so many options and i don't now where it'd be most suitable for me to go first.My goal is to become good at webdesign, not just make one small site and get out of here, but to run a slightly "bigger" site, not huge though :)So, does anyone know which direction to head? Help is much appreciated.

Hi y'all. First of all, great site. So, im a totall newbie when it comes to webdesign, i read the Web Primer and got somewhat of a clue bout how things work etc,now im wondering where to go next? there's just so many options and i don't now where it'd be most suitable for me to go first.My goal is to become good at webdesign, not just make one small site and get out of here, but to run a slightly "bigger" site, not huge though :)So, does anyone know which direction to head? Help is much appreciated.
It depends on what you want to achieve. You twice use the term web design, which to me suggests a focus on visual aspects (creating graphics, choosing a look and feel) rather than programming; is that a deliberate choice? Or do you perhaps want your learning to encompass web development too (the programming aspects). If you want to do web development, I think the best way to get started is to create a simple website, using just html. You can learn html in the the html tutorials - and don't miss the Try-It Editor which is great for typing things and seeing the effect on a web page.Then, once you've created a site with html, and you identify something further you want from your site, look at the other technologies (the likely candidates being javascript and one of the server-side scripting languages, but keep an eye on Silverlight too, as that is set to change things somewhat).

It depends on what you want to achieve. You twice use the term web design, which to me suggests a focus on visual aspects (creating graphics, choosing a look and feel) rather than programming; is that a deliberate choice? Or do you perhaps want your learning to encompass web development too (the programming aspects). If you want to do web development, I think the best way to get started is to create a simple website, using just html. You can learn html in the the html tutorials - and don't miss the Try-It Editor which is great for typing things and seeing the effect on a web page.Then, once you've created a site with html, and you identify something further you want from your site, look at the other technologies (the likely candidates being javascript and one of the server-side scripting languages, but keep an eye on Silverlight too, as that is set to change things somewhat).
Thank you Reg Edit. I'll get started with html right away. About Java etc, is it like addition tools you use to edit your html?what i mean is... in the end... can you use java, html, css etc... all together in order to make the site more professional?

Java is a language that you can use to create interactive applets that you can then integrate into your web pages. Applets are going out of popularity nowadays, however, Flash is now more common. HTML is the basic markup language that you use to define the base structure of your page. CSS is then used to make it actually look interesting. JavaScript is a client-side scripting language that adds functionality asynchronous to page loadings, such as little boxes that can appear and disappear (e.g. the "FastReply" option on this forum). Only HTML is required to make the most basic of web pages, and in the '90s that was pretty much it. CSS, however, can make your sites look nicer, while JavaScript can make them more usable.Further on there are more advanced concepts such as server-side scripting through languages such as PHP, which can "pre-process" pages, add dynamic or database-driven content (from for example a MySQL database), or perform tasks such as form validation, before the document gets sent to the client.

Java is a language that you can use to create interactive applets that you can then integrate into your web pages. Applets are going out of popularity nowadays, however, Flash is now more common. HTML is the basic markup language that you use to define the base structure of your page. CSS is then used to make it actually look interesting. JavaScript is a client-side scripting language that adds functionality asynchronous to page loadings, such as little boxes that can appear and disappear (e.g. the "FastReply" option on this forum). Only HTML is required to make the most basic of web pages, and in the '90s that was pretty much it. CSS, however, can make your sites look nicer, while JavaScript can make them more usable.Further on there are more advanced concepts such as server-side scripting through languages such as PHP, which can "pre-process" pages, add dynamic or database-driven content (from for example a MySQL database), or perform tasks such as form validation, before the document gets sent to the client.
Thanks Synook. Now i got a little closer understanding of how things work, which is greatly appreciated ,-)I'm studying the basics of html atm and it's starting to get really interesting.