Help: nodeType == 'undefined'

javajoemorgan

I am writing a JS to change the class of a parent node of an A when clicked. Suppose I have:

<ul>  <li>	<a href="java script:setClass(this.parentNode);">Click Me</a>  </li><ul>

And my JavaScript is:

function setClass(node) {	if (node.className != null) {		if (node.className.indexOf(" myClass") != -1)			node.className.replace(" myClass", "");		else			node.className += " myClass";	}	else		node.className = " myClass";}

It wasn't working. So, through a series of alerts, I learned that the incoming node is undefined.What am I missing?

You might try this instead:

<a href="#" onclick="setClass(this.parentNode);return false;">Click Me</a>

I ran your code and it looks like "this" in the "java script:setClass(this.parentNode)" references the window object rather than the anchor element. And, since there are no parent nodes for the window object, you're getting a null reference.I don't ever use "java script:function()" in the hrefs, so I don't really know why this is the case. Perhaps the execution path for the "java script:" is at the window rather than at the element. Stick to the DOM and use onclick and this should work for you.

You might try this instead:
<a href="#" onclick="setClass(this.parentNode);return false;">Click Me</a>

I ran your code and it looks like "this" in the "java script:setClass(this.parentNode)" references the window object rather than the anchor element. And, since there are no parent nodes for the window object, you're getting a null reference.

Hmm... isn't that interesting! I hadn't thought it would reference all the way out. However, your suggestion solves the problem... good enough for me! Thanks.

Archived