Finding Inspiration

Brendon Branigin

I've been working with html / Photoshop / Dreamweaver for not quite 2 years now (CSS and XHTML for 5 weeks as of tomorrow) and I’m noticing that a lot of the designs I come up with seem to be very bland. I’m curious, where do you (both novice and pro web designers) find inspiration for your layouts/designs. What are your secrets?

I've been working with html / Photoshop / Dreamweaver for not quite 2 years now (CSS and XHTML for 5 weeks as of tomorrow) and I’m noticing that a lot of the designs I come up with seem to be very bland. I’m curious, where do you (both novice and pro web designers) find inspiration for your layouts/designs. What are your secrets?

you think you are helping someone or everybody , your design is not bland :)

Primarily being a programmer, my design skills are, well, not that great. My challenge is in the blank canvas. Once I have something, I can run with it.So, my "secret" is to roam the various free template sites (i.e. freewebtemplates.com) and snatch up ideas for my own. My site, iribbit.net, is a manipulated copy of a site I saw in freewebtemplates.com. All I do is take a screenshot of the template that I like - and re-engineer it to suit my needs.

Websites don't need to look artistic and stuff. If you make it neat and stuff it is just as good.

@ shinta, Im a big supporter of function over design i just fear that clients will expect extremely graphic sites (especialy where i live, flash seems to be an extremely desired feature) unfortunately i dont like flash so i figure i could compromise by making graphicaly pleasing sites. I think skemcim solved my problem on this one though :)@ skemcim, Very nice site (iribbit) your portfolio is impressive. Thanks for the link to free templates, very helpfullThanks for the input :)

I prefer to come up with my own designs.(premade you find online)Web templates are for people with no vision who like generic-looking websites instead of being unique.Just a personal opinion, I don't want any negitive replies because I said that, please.