Do Math W/XML Element Values...Can It Be Done?

Tundra

I am pulling two elements from a XML feed with numbers as their value (please correct my terminology if used incorrectly)I want to take the first value, lets call it <element1> and divide it by <element2> to produce something similar to this:

document.write("<td class='02'>");document.write("Quotient");document.write("</td>");

Here is what I tried to do: (divide <numUnitsKilled> by <numUnitsLost>)

document.write("<td class='01'>");document.write("numUnitsKilled" / "numUnitsLost");document.write("</td>");

Any thoughts?

I am pulling two elements from a XML feed with numbers as their value (please correct my terminology if used incorrectly)I want to take the first value, lets call it <element1> and divide it by <element2> to produce something similar to this:
document.write("<td class='02'>");document.write("Quotient");document.write("</td>");

Here is what I tried to do: (divide <numUnitsKilled> by <numUnitsLost>)

document.write("<td class='01'>");document.write("numUnitsKilled" / "numUnitsLost");document.write("</td>");

Any thoughts?

I've been studying JS but cant find how to use JS to divide two numbers....

What you really need to do is convert the object to a number, after which you can divide it as you have tried to already.Instead of

document.write("8" / "2");

you need to do

document.write(8 / 2);

and in order to turn a string into a number, you can use the Number() object like:

document.write(new Number("8") / new Number("2"));

Of course, you have to make sure the argument of the Number() object is convertable to a number. If the value of the element in your XML is a number, then you're set. eg.

document.write(new Number(xmlDoc.getElementByTagName('element1').innerHTML) / new Number(xmlDoc.getElementByTagName('element2').innerHTML));

(again assuming "xmlDoc" is the XML document, which is already loaded)

"numUnitsKilled" / "numUnitsLost"
This is telling the javascript parsing engine that you want to divide two strings rather than two numbers and there is no meaning in dividing one string from another.If you have two nodes - numUnitsKilled and numUnitsLost - which contain, in a text node, numbers that represent these values, then you'll have to get those values, make certain that they are numbers (and that numUnitsLost isn't 0), convert those values to numbers and then perform the division.Something along these lines. I haven't tested this so there may be an error or two, but it should point you in the right direction:
var parentNode = document.getElementsByTagName("someparentnode")[0];var killedNode = parentNode.getElementsByTagName("numUnitsKilled")[0];var lostNode = parentNode.getElementsByTagName("numUnitsLost")[0];var numUnitsKilled = 0;var numUnitsLost = 0;if(killedNode && killedNode.nodeValue != "" && isNaN(killedNode.nodeValue) == false){	numUnitsKilled = Number(killedNode.nodeValue);}if(lostNode && lostNode.nodeValue != "" && isNaN(lostNode.nodeValue) == false){	numUnitsLost = Number(lostNode.nodeValue);}if(numUnitsLost > 0){	document.write(numUnitsKilled / numUnitsLost);}

This looks like it should work but I may be messing it up by forcing it into my script table:

document.write("<td class='01'>");var parentNode = document.getElementsByTagName("player")[0];var killedNode = parentNode.getElementsByTagName("numUnitsKilled")[0];var lostNode = parentNode.getElementsByTagName("numUnitsLost")[0];var numUnitsKilled = 0;var numUnitsLost = 0;if(killedNode && killedNode.nodeValue != "" && isNaN(killedNode.nodeValue) == false){	numUnitsKilled = Number(killedNode.nodeValue);}if(lostNode && lostNode.nodeValue != "" && isNaN(lostNode.nodeValue) == false){	numUnitsLost = Number(lostNode.nodeValue);}if(numUnitsLost > 0){	document.write(numUnitsKilled / numUnitsLost);}document.write("</td>");

Do you see anything wrong with doing that? Right now it doesnt work, just prints a blank cell.Thanks again!

Archived