Displaying Multiple instances of xml tags in a table using javascript

Guest Giz

I am very new to xmlDOM and javascript. I have spent several days going through the tutorials here. I have come to a spot that i cant seem to get right. In my code i am trying to access data in an xml file and display it in a javascript table. The reason i am doing this is for cross browser compatability. If someone has a better suggestion about that then let me know. My real problem is i cant seem to get the page to display the single instance of the "name" tag with the multiple instances of the "component" tag that are in the xml. I realize that "document.write(x.getElementsByTagName("component")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue);" line is incorrect because there should not be [0] for the childNode, but i dont know what to use in order to cycle through the other tags that are present. Help is much appriciated. :)

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">var xmlDoc;if (window.ActiveXObject)  {// code for IE  xmlDoc=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM");  }else if (document.implementation.createDocument)  {// code for Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, etc.  xmlDoc=document.implementation.createDocument("","",null);  }xmlDoc.async=false;xmlDoc.load("craftables.xml");document.write("<table border='0' >");var x=xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName("item");for (var i=0;i<x.length;i++){ document.write("<tr>");document.write("<td>");document.write(x[i].getElementsByTagName("name")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue);document.write("</td>");document.write("<td>");document.write(x[i].getElementsByTagName("component")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue);document.write("</td>");document.write("</tr>");}document.write("</table>");</script>

childNodes returns a NodeList object (you know, like with getElementsByTagName). Having said that, you can loop over it like you've looped over all "item" elements, i.e.

document.write("<td><ul>");var y = x[i].getElementsByTagName("component")[0].childNodes;for (var e=0,var l = y.length; e<l;e++) {document.write("<li>" + y[e].nodeValue + "</li>");}document.write("</ul></td>");

(adjusted a little for slightly better performance... as the XML file grows, this will start to matter more)Be advised that it's not good to use document.write, and in general - it's not good to modify the document tree that often. You should instead perform all the looping, storing all the HTML in a variable, and then append everything with the "innerHTML" of an element of your choise.

Archived