Scripting error on this Board

Jack McKalling

Hello :)I would like to suggest a bit of debugging on this board, if that is allowed!On every pageload I get a javascript message of a syntaxis error on a certain line. On some computers they are displayed as a yellow exclamation mark in the lower left corner of the browser (using IE7), and on some it is displayed as a confirm window, asking to debug yes or no.I don't exactly know what is wrong though, it is only a bit annoying and it decreases pleasure browsing the forums :)

Odd that it's javascript. I get CSS errors, but they're always the kind where you declare something one way for IE and another for Mozilla, etc. My own stuff generates them.Anyway, I doubt anyone's going to rewrite a 3rd party board. Maybe you'd be happier browsing with your development tools turned off? Yeah, also a hassle, but . . .

I see both Javascript and CSS errors with Opera. It's a little annoying when any time I need to debug I have to clear all of the errors from this forum. I also don't see the navigation menu or logo on the top, they don't show up in Opera. Possibly both are related, there might be Javascript which causes those to show up. I haven't looked for the offending code myself. Considering that this is a web development forum it would probably be prudent to fix those issues. Considering that admins do not come here, I'm not actually expecting that anything will get fixed. It would also be nice if we could only use standard CSS properties, instead of things like -moz-border and filter. And there are several invalid properties set, like clear:all, word-wrap, etc. If I refresh this thread I see 12 CSS errors/warnings and 1 Javascript error, which is a syntax error. And as long as we're suggesting changes like this, for the love of God please use a CSS sheet. Look at the source code and look at all the non-cached CSS code you're downloading every request. Why do I keep downloading CSS for calendars, I've never even seen a calendar. There are almost 2000 lines of inline CSS code, please put that into a CSS sheet that can be cached. It will save on time for users, and it will save tremendously on bandwidth. Maybe remove the comments from the CSS page as well, that's just more bandwidth.Speaking of that, why have the admins decided to not make themselves part of the community? Does anyone know?

@ justsomeguy:You are using Opera indeed, just like Jonas does, I remember from back then. I have both IE7, FireFox and Opera installed, but use only IE7 for preference. I agree they are all different in rendering most websites, it is very often a hardtime in getting something cross-browser. At least, this thread intended only noting the IE7 error(s), of which I only see the javascript one. Though I totally agree bugs of this forum should be fixed for all major browsers, you're right, this is a web development board after all :wub:@ Deirdre's Dad:This is not a third party board, it uses official forum software, administrated and customized by our admins :mellow:I am aware of the option to turn off javascript errors, but turning those off is besides the point :wub:Why the admins are never present? :) Because, erm, they have not been here for most of the entire timespan that concludes from the beginning of the build of this board till right now at the writing of this post, with certain variables taken into account like sickness, illness, other real life events concerning absence and the board offline count, as to conclusion that their accounts have not logged in here since we have last checked :mellow:I mean, I don't have any clue as to why. Do you? :)

I also don't see the navigation menu or logo on the top, they don't show up in Opera. Possibly both are related, there might be Javascript which causes those to show up.
Strange, I do see the logo, using Opera. (I think 9.25 or something like that)post-210-1204001289_thumb.png
Speaking of that, why have the admins decided to not make themselves part of the community? Does anyone know?
The word is they're busy as it is (small development firm in Norway), and as the board is costing more money than it is generating, they can't justify spending their working hours on it in addition. They've discussed closing it down, but want to keep it as a resource for their visitors. Meanwhile, we moderators have been trusted to run it.

Using IE7, the logo is missing with me too,FireFox 2.0.0.8 shows the logo,And Opera 9.26 doesn't show it either.I can't get a hold of it. Opera indeed shows various errors, IE only one with me, but FireFox doesn't show anything errorlike. This board is definitely not working properly anymore, thats for sure! :)This php function should be executed to repair the board:

function Repair($thisboard){	if (hasError($thisboard) == true)	{		 messageAdministrator("Please repair the errors on this board.");	}	return "The error has been fixed. :)";}

lol

and as the board is costing more money than it is generating
It doesn't look like it's generating anything, I don't see any ads at all. Considering the traffic that this attracts, you would think they would want to advertise on it (also considering the amount of ads on their normal site).

I believe that they have been here sometime, and do have spend some time in customizing the board, I don't know why they could not pay one visit once more to fix these relatively small bugs?Then they could go on W3Schools'Forum-less holiday again :), giving us pleasure browsing this once more :)

Archived