query prob

astralaaron

problem 1:$query = "INSERT INTO `post` (`name`, `time`)VALUES('$name', NOW());"; //take out the all of the " ' " in there... other wise, it is searching for a table named 'post'problem 2:what is the function NOW()? if it is not returning any thing, then it won't work. try saying RETURN "a value";problem 3:try saying:$result = mysql_query("INSERT INTO `post` (`name`, `time`)VALUES('$name', NOW())");do you really need the $query var?

The original code should work, the backquotes are fine, the syntax for the NOW function is fine, and a variable isn't going to cause the query to fail.But it would help to know what the error message is. Is there a non-escaped quote in the $name variable? Try adding spaces around VALUES, I don't know if that is required or not.

I have the same problem with my db so I used this instead:

$query = "INSERT INTO post ('name', 'time') VALUES ('$name', NOW());";$result = mysql_query($query);

Oh! and space around VALUES will help too :)

The single quotes around name and time are going to cause problems, you either need to use backquotes like in the original code or no quotes. If you use single or double quotes then you're saying it's a string, but it needs to be an identifier for a column.

just trying to use the NOW() in my sql query$query = "INSERT INTO `post` (`name`, `time`)VALUES('$name', NOW());";$result = mysql_query($query);can someone tell me what im doing wrong here because it wont execute the query
Try this
$Rsql = mysql_query("INSERT INTO post (name, time) VALUES ('$name',NOW())") or die (mysql_errno() .": ". mysql_error());

and tell us the message you got!

Archived