Project Suggestions

Jesdisciple

This is intended as a library of coding projects to provide a challenge for anyone who wants it. (Mods, please sticky this.) To add a project, reply to this thread and I will edit it into this post. If I don't post your suggestion within three days, please PM/email me. (Corrections are also welcome.)If any project detail seems too difficult, complete the project without it then reconsider whether to exclude it.Projects will be labeled by language category; use Ctrl+F to navigate by label. JavaScript/ECMAScript, WMLScript, and VBScript are client-scripting languages; PHP, ASP, and ColdFusion are server-scripting languages; SQL dialects are... SQL; HTML and XHTML are layout languages; XSL and CSS are stylesheet languages. Any other categories will be added as necessary. (I'm not listing XML because it doesn't have any specific purpose. I'll try to fit any XML projects into subcategories of XML.)Layout projects should be validated by the W3C. Client-scripting projects should be tested in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Opera. JSLint is sometimes helpful, too.Comment Form - layout, server-scriptingBuild a form which submits comment data to a server script which then emails the comment to you. Validate the user input and make the form secure. Make "invalid input" errors as convenient and descriptive as possible. Include fields for the user's:

• Email
  • Name
  • Homepage (optional)
  • Comment Type (e.g. complaint, suggestion, praise, ad request, link exchange, etc.)
  • Comment

Password Protection - layout, server-scripting, SQLBuild two forms: one to take registration data, the other to take a username and password. Validate all input as much as possible. Registration data includes:

• Username
  • Password
  • Confirm Password
  • Full Name
  • Email Address
  • CAPTCHA or other verification of humanity (requires an extra table in your database)

(Get CAPTCHA images from real forms if necessary, but I'm not sure if permission is required to publish them.)Extra: Measure and indicate password accuracy (Password == Confirm Password) and strength as the user types. Requires client-scripting.

Archived