Essplain please...

keturahuriel

[sOLVED]What's the point of having SQL on my site? Should I use it? And YES I read the tutorial. I didn't try any of it because I don't feel like it, but I read it all. Tell me if I need it please on my site.

SQL is only a language. MySQL is one type of database that uses the SQL language to perform its operations. If your site needs to store information, such as login information, comments, posts, uploaded files, etc, then you might want to use a database to store that information. A database is generally more efficient then using text files.

If that question means "What exactly is the point of having a database on MY site?", then, for example, you could store your news in the database and display only recent entries, have various sort options, and allow for the adding of news without manually editing the HTML file. You could have all the profile information in a database, which would allow for any of the members to update their profile anytime, even if they may not be HTML-proficient. You could put your gallery information into the database as well, and when a new picture is added it would be as simple as filling out some form fields and clicking "Add". All members could add images then; and sorting and management would be a breeze. Your order form could be made to work with the database as well. Instead of prospective clients having to go through the time-consuming and deterring process of copying the fields, opening their email client and pasting them in, then manually filling out the details and sending it off, the process could be a simple single form which is present on that page. Clients fill it in and click "Order", at which point the details are stored in your database. The members of your site can then access a page displaying that information, indicate through the table that they are handling it, and get started! Simpler, more effective, and much more usable. For your calendar again there is the potential for a database-driven section. Instead of manually editing the calendar file all your members could access through a control panel a form, which when submitted adds their ... err... event to the calendar. Much easier to maintain. Visitors to your site could even then view your calendar in yearly mode, or a more detailed monthly mode. Those quotes down the bottom right hand corner - they could also be entered into a database table, and one called randomly for each page. Your poetry and song information could also go into a database - with the right setup you could allow visitors to order items by title, date added or even popularity!Simply put, using databasing to drive the content on your website will allow you to make it more interactive, more community-driven, far more efficient, nicer to use, as well as infinitely reducing the maintenance load on you.But do you need it? No - not in the way something like this forum needs a database. Adding one would simply enhance the potential and usability of your site.

Ohh. Okay. Now that makes sense. How do I get one though? Do I have to create one? My webhost has a place for one, but I don't know what to do with it...

Archived