THE best wsiywig

deceylon

My answer: there is none. Best (or Good) and WYSIWYG are not two words that you can use in the same sentence :)But the one that performs its function most satisfactorily IMO is Dreamweaver. It also has a good code view :)

I would have to agree with Synook, about there being none. The best wysiwyg editor would have to be your mind, coding by hand is most definitely the best choice, though if you HAVE to use a wysiwyg editor, go with dreamweaver

I think what people are trying to say is that using an editor as an excuse not to learn the code is simply not a good idea. You'll always be dependent (1) on the editor itself to know what's going on and (2) on people like us to fix broken code that you don't understand.This is especially hazardous when using an editor to build something complicated like a menu. The markup an editor generates is very difficult to read, since it won't call something "hotdogMenu" but will instead call it "menu0004". And trying to keep names like that straight when you go to update it or fix it is really hard.At the very least, WYSIWYG editors can drive you insane when you're trying to figure out why two page elements are out of alignment by one lousy pixel. And questions like that come up every single day on this board. Every day.I like editors for a couple of reasons. 1, I can get a good idea how colors look when I put them together, and trying out various possibilities in an editor is faster than changing code and refreshing my browser. 2, an editor will automatically indent items and save me a little time. 3, an editor also color-codes items, which makes it a little easier to find what I'm looking for. 4., Editors have an auto-complete feature that senses what I'm typing after just a few characters and saves me from typing the rest.That said, I am also 100% comfortable writing code (in several languages at a time) in the plain text area provided by my Host's default file interface. And I think anyone who's getting even semi-serious about web stuff should have that ability as a goal.

Best (or Good) and WYSIWYG are not two words that you can use in the same sentence :)
Using a WYSIWYG editor is not the best practise.Using a WYSIWYG editor is no good.There, that wasn't too difficult. :)

That's all true for programmers but for someone who simply wants to modify content (text, images...) dreamweaver does a great job (most of the time).

lolI'm just saying I've met a lot of people who wanted changes done to a page but didn't even know what html was. DW would be the tool I would recommend for them to use. But if you're into programming then I wouldn't recommend any wysiwyg editors unless you don't want to get better at what you do.

lolI'm just saying I've met a lot of people who wanted changes done to a page but didn't even know what html was. DW would be the tool I would recommend for them to use. But if you're into programming then I wouldn't recommend any wysiwyg editors unless you don't want to get better at what you do.
If those people are your clients, shouldn't you be designing a CMS for them to do such (text editing) changes?

If those people are your clients, shouldn't you be designing a CMS for them to do such (text editing) changes?
hmmm yes but some of those were at my old work place where this guy was helping me and he didn't even know what he was doing :)Some others are not interested in paying for a site so they try to do it themselves.

Archived