Some Help Please...

Luke4123

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luke, how exactly are you communicating with the server? A control panel, an ftp program, or maybe an editor with ftp built in? Either way, does the thing have a name, like cPanel or GoLive? Let us know. One of us might know it and be able to tell you how to change file permissions.

I am using Helm Control Panel to upload all my files. Anyone know it? Also last night i downloaded FileZilla which doesnt work. :)

Okay, I looked up some stuff about Helm. This may or may not help. Just try it.Somewhere in the Helm panel, find the Domain menu.Choose website settings.Hopefully this leads to a window that has a checkbox for Website Write Permissions.Make sure it's checked.Save the setting.See if anything has changed.Meanwhile, maybe someone else knows more about Helm. Good luck.

Ok got into that. The checkboxes it has are Directory Browsing, Parent Paths, Website Write Permissions. Which ones do I tick?

Wow! I guessed right!What you want is Website Write Permissions. Please tell me it has NOT been checked all this time, or we're looking at the wrong thing. Please tell me you JUST NOW checked it (you know, clicked it and it filled with an X) and that things suddenly are working.Got my fingers crossed.

lol. Well I ticked it, and its not working for me. :)

Maybe we can try a back door. If you create an ftp account, or can access one that's already there, you could use an ftp client that might let you change permissions in the traditional way.This link goes to a helm user guide. (pdf file) Download it and read what it says about ftp on page 32. If you get up, maybe you can get in with FileZilla.

Ummm where is the link? :) Also with FileZilla I found out how to change the permissions but it said command not understood.

Well this is the error I got in FileZilla. Does anyone know how to fix it?Command:SITE CHMOD 777 file.txtResponse: 500 'SITE CHMOD 777 file.txt': command not understood

I'm not sure sorry. Yeah I think he is hosting it himself.

Ummm because he doesnt really know much about it. :) I am actually more of the admin but he is the one who set it all up.

or if you don't live with the admin, you live very very close to him. or in other cases you can call him and tell him "hey, change the write permissions on this file."

Out of interest, do you actually have the server in your house?

What do you mean? :)

I'm not sure sorry. Yeah I think he is hosting it himself.
Well, if you are hosting the site yourself, then you'd have the server somewhere around...

What do you mean? :)
The computer on which all of the (PHP) files you're working with are. That's called a "server", you know. Is this computer in your house? Is it the one you're writing from?

Yeah. How would I be able to use the computer if it wasnt at my house? o_O

Most of us have PCs in our house and lease space on a server a billion miles away. :) The point is, if the server is in your house, someone in your house can probably figure out the configuration and permissions and stuff. Till then, no guestbook.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived