Going Higher than 256?

iyeru42

Flash's Animated GIF Export dropdown only goes up to 256, causing major color loss. I was wondering if--at all possible--Flash could go higher.Although, this won't be a problem when I get Photoshop, because I can make Flash CS3 export all 155 frames to a PNG Sequence, then I export each individual frame into Photoshop and then animate it. Photoshop can export an animated GIF over 256 colors; but why can't flash?Edit: The FLA file is below if anyone wants to compress the GIF too, I don't like it being 31 KB (I'd love it below 10 KB if anyone can manage). Also; for some odd reason, I can't put stop(); in the last frame of the DoYouVelvet? movieclip for actions (the movieclip DoYouVelvet? continues to loop infinitely even though Flash told it to stop.) The zip/fla file is over 2 MB, so I have to offlink it for you people.http://iyeru42.info/Velvetar.zipIf you want what the GIF looks like: Click Here

There are some kind of GIFs that use more than 256 colors at once, but I don't know a lot about it.This might be some help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIF#Palettes
Unfortunately, it only furthers my claim. "the maximum number that can be used in a frame is 256." GIF89a (truecolor GIF) cannot be saved by Flash. Trying to search for a means to get around this problem via Google or Altavista even causes me to get a bunch of places offering free SWF to GIF conversions. I don't want that, I wan't flash to be able to export truecolor itself.

GIF uses 8-bit colors, which means the palette for any GIF image is limited to 256 colors. There are no true color GIF images. If you want true color use PNG, but then it's not animated. If you want an animated true color file then you're talking about a movie, not an image, like MJPEG, or just MPEG.

Archived