HTML Frames

phool4fool

Hello,how are you?I did not understand HTML FramesI understand that we use frames to Divide tha Page into two or three parts...but what is the pupose....purpose means where it is effective....I've seen Lycos Search ....which uses Frames....but I did not understand how that works....and I personally used Frames but did not get understanding ....where it will display the Link....Please briefly explainI hope you understand my question (problem).........Ok byeTake Care.

Well frames cause more problems than they fix dont use um.I have seen people say you can use PHP to get the same affect but without all the problems that come along with using frames.Dont know how to do it though.

Hey M8Am good thx...okFrames section at W3Schools.www.w3schools.com/html/html_frames.aspW3Scchools says:

With frames, you can display more than one HTML document in the same browser window. Each HTML document is called a frame, and each frame is independent of the others.
I 'used' to use frames for any navigation purposes to save a user re-downloading the images and information again (from my navigation menu bar), now I use CSS to create the same effect, but with much more benefits, as well as user cacheing the information it also benefits in Search Engine Optimisation, User navigation(finding the site) easier to develop and it takes up a lot less space, meaning less webspace taken up on server.CSS tutorials start here.www.w3schools.com/css/default.aspHope this helps and answers your query. Any probs or Questions let us know!TC Col

Frames are more of a thing of the past. Initially, their intent was to be used as a layout tool. But they proved to be cumbersome by taking up extra real estate and by making link targeting hard to follow.People then moved to tables for layout purposes. Although tables are still widely used across the internet, it is not the "real" way one should develop a site. Cascading Stylesheets are the appropriate way to layout a page. Scrollable <div> tags do allow a developer to give the same feel as frames without worrying about the link targeting issue traditional frmaes gave developers.Having said all that, frames, still, can be used effectively if done correctly. I've seen the footer of sites be included as a frame. It may only be 50 pixels tall, but it nonetheless can be used for certain things. In the example I'm speaking of, the framed footer was a login form - which disappeared once the user logged in.So, frames can be used effectively but most attempts fail miserably. Most, if not everyone here, will advice you to stay away from using them.

Well frames cause more problems than they fix dont use um.I have seen people say you can use PHP to get the same affect but without all the problems that come along with using frames.Dont know how to do it though.

Let's say you have a layout like this:twocolumn0ck.gifYou could make a seperate file just for the left panel, call it whatever you like.In all your pages you could have an include() or require() (whichever one you use is your choice, "include" will still load the page if the file being included fails to load, but "require" won't load the page at all if the file being required fails to load)have something like: include("filename.extension"); within every page on your site.Then if you want to change something in the left menu, you just change that ONE file, rather than every page.This is similar to just changing the left frame if you have frames.You don't need PHP to do this though, you just need SSI (Server-Side Includes) enabled on your server.If you want to use SSI but don't want to use PHP script to do it, then just name the extension on your pages to .shtml have have something like this<!--#include file="filename.extension"-->That works similar to include() in PHP, although not as advanced.

Ah cheers for that. :)