to buy or not to buy..

Matilda Johnson

Are you planning to just resell it, or use it for something real? If you'll be using it, then it depends if it's really worth that much for your organization.If you're just going to resell it... then I think you should wait for the auction. But I've never bought and/or reselled domains before, so my guess is as good as that of an end user.

Well, if you're serious enough, then buy it. $10 000 are a kind of money I won't be giving any time soon, but if you think you'll win more, and soon, then go for it.

If you are really serious about this venture and are prepared to "go for broke" to make this work then it MIGHT be worth it. Personally I would never pay more than $500 for a domain and only that much if it was a really good name. I don't know who you are or what kind of plans and financial backing you have but $10k is pretty steep unless you are go for a huge site/application that is going to bring in tons of money.Where are they planning to auction the domain? Do some reseach on that site and see if any similar domains are going for that much. You may find that it is over priced and can get it cheaper in the auction. Be sure to do your homework before shelling out that much cash!you can just as easily brand and promote a different domain name and be just as successful.

Yeah, the domain name doesn't matter if the content is good. What do you think they paid for icanhascheezburger.com, any more then the minimum (which just went up to $6.42 or something for .coms)? What do you think they make off advertising for that site, probably several thousand a month. Not to mention whatever they sell in the store.

Thank you guys for your thoughts. I can't agree that the domain name doesn't matter. Actually it matters a lot. The only fact that it is memorable and easy (moreover if corresponding) can play great role in site marketing. Most simple - if your customer wants to tell his friend about your site he must remember it's name (if it is long and difficult - it brings the chaces to zero). Besides, good and successful name won't be confused with others.

I do not like the idea of using any domain name that was formerly associated with another company/organization/what have you. I would like to be unique, and I would not like peeple expecting things that aren't there, and I want to be judged not by what "they" did but by what we do. You know what I mean?

I do not like the idea of using any domain name that was formerly associated with another company/organization/what have you. I would like to be unique, and I would not like peeple expecting things that aren't there, and I want to be judged not by what "they" did but by what we do. You know what I mean?
Well, if you propose cooperation, it is wellcome, all the more I'm looking forward cooperation in programming and content writing. So if you have any proposals or ideas - let's discuss.

Archived