the future of .tv domains

Matilda Johnson

I don't really see the difference between the tv domains and any other ones. Only if there were alot of different sites called my TV company's name would I get a .tv one...

I still think a .com is the best way to go. It is the defacto default. If someone is trying to guess your company's domain they will always try .com first.
Wonder if MTV will switch to www.m.tv soon... :)

I think that a domain name has to be a minimum of 2 characters.
In that case music.tv might be good. :)

Anyway, back to the original question, I can't see .tv domains doing anything other then what they're doing today. .tv is the TLD for the country of Tuvalu and was introduced in 1996, I can't imagine that it would all of a sudden get popular if it's not already.

Do you think will be possible to buy a domanin that will be needed by a big company? LOL, this is my bad english. I will try to explain in another way: when the web was to the beginning, if you had bought a domain as mtv.com, next you would be contacted by the Mtv's staff for a quota on your domain.. and you would have sell it for a big (or moderate) price. Now, if you will buy a domain like Jonas suggested (music.tv), IF that domain extension will grow.. you will have a possibility to sell it to the Mtv' staff for a nice price. Then, after I say "Excuse me for this bad english", I ask: is this possible?

As far as I know there are no restrictions on what domains you can by except for trademarked names. For example Google usually sues people that have poplar domains that remotely resemble Google.A domian like music.tv, in my opinion, isn't a trademarked domain so if you could get it then if MTV wanted it they would have to pay a premium to get it.

MTV's lawyers could probably argue that it belongs to them, I don't know what a judge would say. But it's not legal in the US to buy a trademarked domain name, I think that came out when somebody bought pepsi.com before pepsi did and tried to sell it back to them for a huge price. A judge ruled that was not legal, you can't buy a name with someone else's trademark for the purpose of selling it to them. music.tv might be general enough, I'm not sure what a judge would think. It's sort of a moot point though, seeing as how music.tv is already registered.

Yes, I understand.. but I was meant: when you know a company will grow and will be a big one, you can buy a domain they could want in the near future, when they will be trademarked. It could be called lucky or.. just a 'smart movement'.

It could also be called "illegal". What if you were a growing company and you went to register your domain and you found that someone was just sitting on it offering to sell it to you for $100k. Would you pay them, or sue them?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersquatting

Cybersquatting, according to the United States federal law known as the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, is registering, trafficking in, or using a domain name with bad faith intent to profit from the goodwill of a trademark belonging to someone else.
The key is bad faith. If you buy a domain and set up a website and use that domain for your own purposes, that's not necessarily bad faith. If you didn't do anything with the domain, just sat on it until someone else wanted to buy it, they could argue that was done in bad faith, force you to hand it over, and maybe even force you to pay their lawyers' fees, or recoup other damages if the judge agrees that your actions caused the company to lose business (e.g. via a months-long trial where the company could have been making web sales). Not to mention you would lose the respect of many web developers. I was making a website for a local business and noticed that their name was already registered (not a common name), with one of those generic search engine spam pages on it. I contacted the owner and he offered to sell me the domain for over $13,000. The website itself cost around $5,000. I told him to go [have sexual relations with] himself and bought a similar name for $5. I don't want to make my money by sponging off other people, I want to make my money by creating a valuable product. But to each his own..Of course, I don't know what the laws are in Italy. Maybe you can pull stuff like that there.

Oh.. I didn't knonw that law. By viewing the italian page for Cybersquatting I can see the law it's the same here in Italy. Thank you for the link, justsomeguy. Then, all the companies I see they register a lot of domains for future resell.. are they doing illegal actions?

but can the extention count as part of the extention since tv does not stand for television? it is just a play on the letter. It is hard to say what a judge would say but IMO it is no different than music.com. the word music isn't trademarked.

Archived