Full Height and Centered.

Hi guys I'm working on a web template but I'm having some trouble getting a div to stretch to 100% height and keep it centered.This is the design: LinkI'm referring to the little grey part just outside the white content area.This is the css I'm using for that grey part:

#backdrop {	text-align: center;	position: absolute;	background-color: #626262;	width: 850px;	height: 100%;	margin: auto;}

The "margin: auto;" doesn't seem to be making a difference though since the box keeps shifting to the left.Any help?

In order for it to work you need the html and body elements to also be 100% high. And to center it in all browsers you must give its parent a centered text-align property.Backdrop can't be centered if you give it an absolute positioning. So remove that.

html,body { height: 100%; }#parent_of_backdrop { text-align: center; }#backdrop {text-align: center;background-color: #626262;width: 850px;height: 100%;margin: 0 auto;}

Remove "position: absolute" from the #backdrop object.And you better initialize the html and body elements like this:html, body {padding: 0;margin: 0;height: 100%;}If not, 100% of the element will go beyond the height of the screen.

Repeating properties doesn't really matter. It won't change anything. You just need to remember that only the last one written will have priority.