how to cope with buggy browsers

thesoundsmith

A suggestion that may have already been thought of - why not, as W3C, analyze and track the IE (and other) bugs - if it doesn't conform to the spec, publish, in one searchable document, the bug and the fix - as a bug-update CSS sheet. All anyone would have to do is link their web pages to your global cssbrowserbugs.css doc and follow the accompanying errata sheet to get the most recent bugs and work-around - probably set up as at least partially a wiki, so other developers can add their comments, bugs and fixes. I don't think it could be truly interactve, so it would automatically apply the patches, but at least we'd have a common resource to call upon rather than Googling 'fix for bug in IE7' and spending the next week finding one that works.But mainly, a document that says - there are the standards, and you don't conform - here's the work-around...Or does such a repository already exist?

I'm unaware of one vast super repository. There are so many issues and so many work-arounds. You can google stuff, but half the trick there is choosing the best keywords.If you post a question here, you may have a wait, but since you can phrase it in human-speak you're more likely to get the answer you need. And some things we've been through so many times, you can get an answer very quickly. (Though possibly in a snotty tone and with a diatribe about not googling things first. Ignore any of that.)icon1.gifFor what it's worth, IE has major problems with the so-called "box model," so coordinates get really foobar.IE handles events differently. Mouseovers, that kind of thing.IE handles AJAX differently.IE has a lot of special "features" that the other guys don't.There's more.Even the dedicated Windows users around here have a long-standing hatred for IE. It runs deep.

I'm unaware of one vast super repository. There are so many issues and so many work-arounds. You can google stuff, but half the trick there is choosing the best keywords.If you post a question here, you may have a wait, but since you can phrase it in human-speak you're more likely to get the answer you need. And some things we've been through so many times, you can get an answer very quickly. (Though possibly in a snotty tone and with a diatribe about not googling things first. Ignore any of that.)Even the dedicated Windows users around here have a long-standing hatred for IE. It runs deep.
I know all that well, and I don't worry too much about attitude, if it's warranted - i.e.; after the rant comes the correct answer - I'm the same way about II-V7 chord progressions. But I do search the forum, if I'm lucky it saves time. What I'm thinking about is more of a Help Desk Wiki approach, so solutions could be collected in one spot rather than re-inventing the wheel, or the DIV, every time. We set one up where I worked, and it was very useful, when setting up new systems, to be able to link back to the Helpsearch when something didn't go right, or jiust to get IP addresses and optimal system or network settings and the like. Once it was in place and initially populated, it saves us thousands of man-hours annually in spinning wheels. If W3C is serious about pushing standards, and has the budget for a couple of folks to develop and man the system, I would think some standard Help Desk software could be adapted to the task.But that's cool, Google usually has something to say on the subject - no matter what the subject... and this was posted in 'suggestions', not 'whines and complaints' :) Thanks.

Maybe, but I think a forum is the best way. We have a big archive of already answered questions and you usually don't even have to wait 24 hours for answers to even the most complicated questions.

Maybe, but I think a forum is the best way. We have a big archive of already answered questions and you usually don't even have to wait 24 hours for answers to even the most complicated questions.
My first thought is that it's often hard to find the best search words so you can locate the information on the forum. So I figured a wiki would be better.But a wiki's search engine isn't likely to be better, is it? Because that's the real problem with information. It's out there. Bringing info into one "place" makes a lot of sense when you're discussing a physical library, especially if it's 1930. But even then you can't find anything without a card catalogue. Knowledge that exists in this forum's archives, or anywhere on the net, is only as useful as the best search engine.I often Google a problem and find the answer in someone else's archives. Go figure.

If W3C is serious about pushing standards, and has the budget for a couple of folks to develop and man the system, I would think some standard Help Desk software could be adapted to the task.
There's an issue about whose responsibility it is to do this. I don't really think it is the W3C's responsibility to keep track of every browser vendor out there and what they do and do not conform to. The mandate of the W3C is only to develop the standards, not track who and who does not adhere to them. The responsibility for doing something like that would either be up to the vendors to publish a list of what they do not support and workarounds for it or, more likely, the user community would probably be quicker and more efficient at finding bugs and workarounds.Also, don't confuse the W3C with this site, the two are not affiliated in any way.

There's an issue about whose responsibility it is to do this. I don't really think it is the W3C's responsibility to keep track of every browser vendor out there and what they do and do not conform to. The mandate of the W3C is only to develop the standards, not track who and who does not adhere to them. The responsibility for doing something like that would either be up to the vendors to publish a list of what they do not support and workarounds for it or, more likely, the user community would probably be quicker and more efficient at finding bugs and workarounds.Also, don't confuse the W3C with this site, the two are not affiliated in any way.
Oh - I thought you were all the same animal. That changes much from my perspective on what to expect, I thought this was a part of the W3C services...And responsibility, I would think, would go to those who were most interested in maintaining standards, which implies to me W3C - it would not be an enforcement issue, but a user-oriented and user-tracked help desk (which I thought of as maintained by W3C as a service, like this forum - but this not being part of W3C - well, never mind...

Archived