Sign in to follow this  
banzemanga

Simulate anchor using css (without javascript)

What i want is to use css to simulate the properties of a styled anchor to any other element. (without using javascript)So let's say i have a anchor inside a table cell and when i hover it:-like a block the background color changes-the mouse becomes a hand pointer

<html>	<head>		<style type=text/css>			.mouseOver {				background-color: #999999;				cursor: pointer;				display: block;			}			a { display: block; }			a:hover { background-color: #999999; }			table { border: solid thin; }			td { width: 50pt; }		</style>	</head>	<body>		<table>			<tbody>				<tr>					<td><a href="#">three</a></td>					<td class="mouseOver">two</td>				</tr>			</tbody>		</table>	</body></html>

So here i have a table with 2 cells.-The first one is the anchor i am trying to simulate-The second is a cell with class "mouseOver"So what do i do so all elements of class "mouseOver" will take simulation only when the mouse is over the styled element.I know i could use javascript ad add a onmouseover to change the style but i don't want that. I want to do it with pure css. Any ideas?

This class with simulate a link to anything you apply them to:.mouseOver:hover {color: blue;text-decoration: underline;cursor: pointer;}

I tried that before. For some reason the 'hover' pseudo-class only applies to anchors. I wonder if there is any other way to do it besides using pseudo-classes and javascript.Edit: i looks like that the problem was that it is not fully supported by browsers. Firefox accepts the hover pseudo-class if i add what kind of element before it:td.mouseOver:hover { background-color: #999999; cursor: pointer; display: block;}But IE doesn't seem to accept hover pseudo-class at all.Thanks.

Internet Explorer 6 only will use the :hover pseudo-class on an <a> element.Firefox shouldn't have a problem with :hover no matter the circumstance.

Hm... after reading your post i tried again and i still get the same results i said. What version of Firefox do you use? I use 2.0.0.13.IE7 doesn't render it at all. Firefox only takes it when i include the tag.

Well, then there is an error with your code. All browsers except IE lte 6 support :hover for any tag.Can you show us your attempt?

I posted on this just a couple days ago. IE7 supports :hover when the doctype is strict, but not when it's missing or transitional.