"Container" DIV troubles...

gris01

I am having a couple of problems with a resumé page I put together, here.I'll start with a real quirky one:I have used this exact method to make a container before. On my 1st try with this page, I didn't specify a height for the "container" DIV, as I assumed it would be set automatically by the contents... here was that CSS for that particular DIV

#container {width:700px;margin: 0 auto;background-color: #FFFFFF; border: solid 1px black;}

The result: I couldn't see the correct background color, and the border was reduced to a single line, as the element was not expanding correctly, although the content intended for the inside of the container was displaying correctly, floating and clearing and displaying.After playing a bit, I did this:

#container {width:700px; [b]overflow:hidden;[/b]margin: 0 auto;background-color: #FFFFFF; border: solid 1px black;}

And BAM! everything was fine, the background color was correct and the border wrapped aka the box was sizing correctly...In the end, I specified

#container {width:700px; [b]height:1200px;[/b]

because the overflow command seemed so wonky...NEXT Problem:In IE 7 the elements aren't clearing correctly... So it's one long line to the right...Please! HALP!!

Archived