FLASH Versus HTML

louie

Flash or HTML?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Flash or HTML?

• HTML Only
    • Full Flash website
    • A little flash in an HTML page.

Im just wondering. Which would you prefer? Plain HTML websites or full flash websites? Or a little flash in an HTML page? Im not really an advocate of flash... But i do use it sometimes for menus/navigation sytems. so id take option 3. Share us what you think.

Don't really like Flash. I don't like clicking stuff when I can't see where it will lead me.I will use SVGs (Scaleable Vector Graphics) on my sites when Firefox starts supporting them.

Personally I prefer HTML only. Flash often has long loading times. I would prefer to disable Flash in my browser, mainly to stop Flash-banners, but I couldn't because it stopped me from using so many sites. Also, at school, Flash isn't installed, so I can't use any sites that uses Flash-navigation or something.Of course Flash does have it's positive sides to, it looks the same no matter what browser you use and you can make som cool sites, but I don't think that makes up for it.

Recent versions of operating systems have Flash installed already.So maybe not every one, but a lot have Flash :)That Flash hides the target of a clickable area can be positive too. If you use javascript in the link, the build in code action won't be visible when you hover. It's nicer when only real links are shown, isn't it? :)I don't like fully Flash pages, as they can't do much, only grafixs and some clicking. Fully Html on the other hand can't do much either: only one presentation, use a manipulating language inside it, might do some Flash, and it will be great.

i remember there was this survey of flash and other plug ins and the results where that 90% of internet users have flash and its only 930kb to download.compared to real one 14mb and windows media 10mb im mensioning these vedio plug ins cus flash can be used to deliver video. about those full flash web sites i think its dum to make a web site in one .swf its crazy unless an intro witch then you would need a link to the home page and some js to make the user see the intro only once.runescape nemesis websitehere is a nice full flash single .swf web site not a lot to dowload small and flashy! :)

There's no absolute best choice here. Each site has a different demographic + market. Take a look at the market, about 95% of teens and 20's have flash, so that's not an issue. It's when you start moving upwards in your target audience's age. The real downside of flash is not the user side as far as how many people can view your site, it has to do with search engines. A full flash site won't be optimized for search engines and will be very difficult to be listed.I find hybrid sites are the best most of the time (flash/html mix) because of the search engine optimization AND visual appeal. That's why many big sites use a hybrid technique. BUT full flash sites are nice for a certain market that requires that visual appeal (i.e. bands). I got the impression from previous posts that people see an appropriate substitution for flash to be PHP, Perl and Javascript. I've said this in a different post on the board recently. There are two kinds of languages... Server-Side which the server compiles BEFORE the page is sent to the client, so you never see the source code, and Client-Side which is compiled AFTER (but pretty much immediately after) the page is sent, so you can always find the source code here. The main use for Server-Side languages is that they are the only way to interact with databases, XML and emails. Every time you call/execute a Server-Side script, the page has to be refreshed. Client-Side languages are strictly for real-time interaction and functionality on the page (like validating input on a form BEFORE it is sent to a Server-Side language).Server-Side: PHP, Perl, ASP, Coldfusion, JavaClient-Side: JavascriptFlash is a way to mix between. Flash can talk to Javascript (but rarely ever needs to) and can execute a PHP script (or any other Server-Side) to add info into a database or send an email. The reason I say this is because Flash is not a subsitute for PHP, Perl or Javascript. That's not it's use... it's main use is to create a visually pleasant experience for online.And last thing I'll say. The more you use flash, the more you learn about optimizing the filesize. Flash does not have to take long to load. It usually does, however, if you're new to the software.Hope this info helps!!!

And last thing I'll say. The more you use flash, the more you learn about optimizing the filesize. Flash does not have to take long to load. It usually does, however, if you're new to the software.
Well, i have to agree with you there. :)

• 2 months later...

I tried to make a Flash-only-site. It was for a designers team. They used so much vectorgraphics that the site would be very slow on some older (1 jear +) machines, because of the heavy graphics.Google doesn't like full flash-pages either. My advice: If you want to be found by people without the most modern machines, use flash sparingly. And if you can't resist... Make a fully operational PHP/ASP + HTML + CSS + JavaScript site first, and create a 'mirror' (for every page) in flash.

Flash is probably the most misused web software out there. But, it works wonders if correctly incorporated into a site design. I prefer to use HTML all the time unless there is a design element or requirement that only flash can accommodate.I never store content in flash that I want search engines to see. Although Google is the only spider that can get to the flash text, its not enough to rely on.So its only something I use when the client asks for it.HOWEVER. When Cold Fusion 7 was launched, server side flash has given me more options. I know use the Cold Fusion 7 Server Side Flash Forms to create most of my online forms. Coding web forms in Flash makes them virtually unhackable. No worries about hidden fields be ing hacked or target pages being sniffed out - its all in the swf file - and you cant hack a server side flash remote form like those created in Cold Fusion 7.

Flash isn't good for a full website. Like I said in my last badly typed post, Flash doesn't lend to accessibility. Also, you don't make webpages to demographics, you make them foreverybody. The people designing the Australia Olympics Stadium got sued for not accessiblizing their stadium, because they thought people in wheelchairs wouldn't want to go to the Olympics. =P

I agree there ~Shinta. :) You should not use 100% flash in a website. But you can use about 5-10 % in flash like headers, menu effets (exampel: rotating weels), or if you would like to have a flash game present thats not so big.

Wow, lots of opinions on Flash. I have some comments.SEO: Search engines index text - so you have to create meta tags of the content you want to be indexed.HTML or Flash: There are many things that you cannot do in HTML that can be done in Flash. Advanced Dynamic features is where Flash excels. As far as file size, use the right tool for the right job. A hammer is not the best tool for every job :-) Also, a flash reader is a free plugin and unless you are running an ancient browser this is already included in the browser or can be installed.I use Flash for dynamic feature that I cannot do in HTML and Java or DHTML.One example is delivering compressed video in a webpage. Check out this Flash site http://www.richardtosti.com and this page with 25 (2 to 3) minute Flash Seminar Clip videos that can all be played at the same time. http://www.richardtosti.com/seminar_excerpts.html This was my first experiment with Flash and I like it.Also if you look and the meta tags for the key words - this site indexes very high in the search engine rankings. try "peak performance seminar" in google. SEO is all about proper indexing and Flash's object files SWF are not indexable text. So do a litt HW and build your key words in meta tags and invisable layers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll be honest with you: I height flash! SVG is the real deal :) . But it's usage is also not the best usage possible. I (think I) vored for HTML only (If not- I would like to change my vote :) ) and use SVG when there should be some interactivity.

• 2 weeks later...

i think thats actually a hard question...it really depends on the purpose of the site, if its a professional site most definately in my opinion id use very limited flash, however if it is a leisure site more flash would be appropriate

Full Flash site pros:1. browser/OS independant2. easier for some people to design in3. securityFull Flash site cons:1. can be large files2. not everyone has the plug-in (don't forget links/lynx people!)So it looks like there are 3 pros to 2 cons, but the fact that not everyone has the plug-in (even if there are only 10% that do not) is a big draw-back.Obviously, Flash has its place in the Web. If I were to create a web site that included games or any form of multimedia, I would use Flash. However, I think Flash is inappropriate for a web site's navigation due to the same reason as above, not everyone has it, and they won't be able to get around your web site.