Content Mgmt. System to Maintain XML Data?

kwilliams

Exactly what do you mean by that? For it to use XML as a database? I don't know of any, and I'm not sure it's really worth it anyway. XML can be a great format to dump DB data in, but it doesn't really feel good for actually using it as a DB storage format.

Exactly what do you mean by that? For it to use XML as a database? I don't know of any, and I'm not sure it's really worth it anyway. XML can be a great format to dump DB data in, but it doesn't really feel good for actually using it as a DB storage format.
I'm using XML docs to store basic page data across my site. So default.xml contains the data that will be displayed on default.aspx, while default.xsl formats the XML data using a XML/XSL transformation on the ASP.NET page.So I'm looking for a content management system that can work with dynamic data.

I'm using XML docs to store basic page data across my site. So default.xml contains the data that will be displayed on default.aspx, while default.xsl formats the XML data using a XML/XSL transformation on the ASP.NET page.So I'm looking for a content management system that can work with dynamic data.
How is a plain XML and XSL file a dynamic data? You're already describing a good content model already (one I've actually used already, though with PHP instead of ASP.NET).If you want to edit the XML file (i.e. the data), you'll have to create a control panel with ASP.NET yourself. There can't be a CMS for that. If you feel too lazy to use ASP.NET for that, you can always use a tool like MS InfoPath to generate a form based on the XML. You'd be able to edit the XML via that InfoPath form.Actually, the editing panel can be in any XML aware language, or in any editor that can work with any XML files. I'd say this is infact the beauty of this model.

How is a plain XML and XSL file a dynamic data? You're already describing a good content model already (one I've actually used already, though with PHP instead of ASP.NET).If you want to edit the XML file (i.e. the data), you'll have to create a control panel with ASP.NET yourself. There can't be a CMS for that. If you feel too lazy to use ASP.NET for that, you can always use a tool like MS InfoPath to generate a form based on the XML. You'd be able to edit the XML via that InfoPath form.Actually, the editing panel can be in any XML aware language, or in any editor that can work with any XML files. I'd say this is infact the beauty of this model.
Because I am not a *lazy* person, I've been seriously thinking of creating an in-house solution using an RTE for the formatting of new web pages.The CMS solution that I would need would include the creation and editing of new web pages with formatting options, the maintenance of forms & documents, and the creation of new online fillable forms. If I was to do an in-house solution, I think that I could accomplish the first with the use of a good RTE, and the second with a simple ASP.NET XML form. But the third task is where I'm stumped. I'd need to use/create a RTE that allows users to create forms, which I can then edit (if need be), and upload to the site. I'd also need a project management environment set up to make sure that the proper users are editing and approving such edits.So as you can see, an in-house solution would be a lot of work if I was to do it on my own, since I am the only Webmaster here. So the use of a CMS for some if not all of the above tasks would make things a lot easier. So, does InfoPath have an option that allows users to create online fillable forms? Is there a way to create a web-based solution with InfoPath so that users can create and edit the site through our intranet or extranet? While I'm waiting for answers to my questions, I'm going to go to the InfoPath website to research the solution on my own. Thanks for any info.

• 2 years later...

AFAIK, InfoPath requires clients to have InfoPath installed in order to properly fill the form or edit it. Even if you were to create something else, your clients will still need to have it, eliminating the "web" aspect of the thing.Another approach is to publish an InfoPath form to a SharePoint server, which will in turn generate a web form in accordance with the InfoPath descriptions. I don't know how well such forms run on browsers other than IE, but even if they run fine, SharePoint isn't free.If you were to use InfoPath as your form creation platform, you'd have to also get a SharePoint server to make it useful for your clients OR write your own InfoPath-to-Web converter, which would be just as hard as creating yourXML-to-Web converter, minus the editor part.[edit]Crap... fooled in again into posting to a really old topic... talk about digging out the undead... Oh well... if you hadn't realized that already, you do now.[/edit]

Archived