problems with include files

ecluley

when I try to include html files on an asp webpage any £ symbols in them become ? or funny little boxeshere is how the include file displays:

appointments last for one hour and cost �100 - you can make an appointment by calling Caroline on 07886234559 or by emailing kathleen@reverse-therapy.com Make the first step to getting your health back!

and this is the html code for the include file:

Appointments last for one hour and cost £100 - you can make an appointment by calling Caroline on 07886234559 or by emailing kathleen@reverse-therapy.com <br><br>Make the first step to getting your health back!<br>

and the html file when viewed on its own is the same as the code basically. it has the £ signsAny ideas?Cheers

ok, that does work but surely I shouldnt have to. to further complecate things this is all part of a web site and web editor i made for a friend. basically the web editor takes in rich text and encodes it to html. it generates the html code and I cannot find a way- even using replaces of getting this to wrk. i understand your solution works as a work around but unfortunately it does not fix my problem. I need to know why the include is not allowing the £ to be displayed.thanks for your help and your quick response- it has given me some food for thought. still looking for a solution though!Ewen

ok, that does work but surely I shouldnt have to. to further complecate things this is all part of a web site and web editor i made for a friend. basically the web editor takes in rich text and encodes it to html. it generates the html code and I cannot find a way- even using replaces of getting this to wrk. i understand your solution works as a work around but unfortunately it does not fix my problem. I need to know why the include is not allowing the £ to be displayed.thanks for your help and your quick response- it has given me some food for thought. still looking for a solution though!Ewen
well i dont know what editor your using so i cant comment there, but i do know that the characters you are trying to use are not standard ASCII characters, sometimes these characters will display without you needing to use their character codes but it is best practise to use them all of the time. i dont think there actually is a solution except for the one i have given?check this out for more characters http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_entities.asp

It's probably an encoding issue - the include files either have a different encoding then the parent file or the encoding for the HTML page is set to something other then what the include file is using. Save the files using UTF-8 and make sure the character encoding on the HTML page is set to UTF-8 also.

Archived