Problems with "mailto:"

EddieHanson

I am presently having problems with the mail link in an anchor tag. Below is a test HTML.======= ======= ======= TEST HTML ======= ======= =======<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"><html><body> <a href="mailto:ed@domain.com">Mr. Ed</a> [note: this is NOT a valid E-mail address!]</body></html>======= ======= ==== END TEST HTML ======= ======= =======Error messages:I get from MSIE - "could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed".I get from Firefox - nothing happens.This test HTML page is runned off my computer using Windows 2000, version 5 (Service Pack 4). I get the same error messages from the web site I manage. The web site runs off another computer with the following specs:Server version: Apache 1.0O/S ver: Linnex Red Hat 7.xconfig: using Tomcat module of Apachesetup: serving JSP pagesThese mailto links worked before but suddenly quit working.Any suggestions?Eddie

Did you change your default mail client?A mailto link opens up your default mail client to send the email.Have you asked other people to try and see if the link works for them?

I have tried with others and some (but not all) can do it. I was told that the web browser must call up the default mail client. Now I am trying to figure out how to do it on my computer. I am using Mozilla Thunderbird. Under Tools -> Options -> General Tag, I tried to click the "Use Thunderbird as the default client" but it unclicks as I leave it.Any other suggestions?

With Thunderbird, if it wasn't you default then as soon as you open it a pop-up alert would ask you if you wanted to make it the default.****So you're saying that even if you check the box in options, it gets unchecked?untitled6wz.th.png

With Thunderbird, if it wasn't you default then as soon as you open it a pop-up alert would ask you if you wanted to make it the default.****So you're saying that even if you check the box in options, it gets unchecked?untitled6wz.th.png

Correct. The check box is unchecked when I leave (the same box in the example). Someone told me that maybe it is "Read Only" mode.I do get the pop-up box asking if I want Thunderbird to be the default mail client and I check "yes".One more thing: this is only happening on my computer at work so I do not have administrative power to do too much changing.