corporate website

Johnmitchell

i'm thinking about re-designing one of our websites. it's very plain and basic - would appreciate ideas and tips.http://www.nextstep-cds.org.ukthe thing thats the biiiitch is that we have quite strict standards to adhere to. it'd take me too long to type them all, and you too long to read so i wont bother :)thanks :)

If you can give some of the major standards that you need to follow, then I think people would give more accurate and relevant suggestions.I ###### at designing, so these are strictly IMO on the current page:The top navigation (site map, contact us etc.) looks awkward. Some of the links are lowercase, and two are initial-capped. And the last link falls down to the next line.Make the three 'funded by' images at the bottom into links to your funders.Make your top left logo a link to the home page.The 'Back to Top' link looks out of place. I don't think it needs to even be there (unless it is part of the standards that you have to follow).The 9th link on your side navigation (nextstep Real Life Stories) looks a bit out of place. I mean this as in all of the other links start off initial-capped, and not all of the rest of the links are initial-capped. Maybe you can change it around to 'Real life nextstep stories' or something to that nature, just to make the links consistent.

Upper menu - decide if the first letter should be capital or not. Name the links in a more intuituve way not like (Tell us what you think?) and such.Site Search - the Go is not aligned with the input fieldCan I click the logos below? (Matrix ....) Dont put questions in the users head :) :mellow:Too much text, the site wants to say smth through the text and not the images. There are no images that reflect what the company does.The statement below the logo is too small.Too many types of font. Resume to one or two.You need some color on your site ... not only the colors from the logoTry using adobe.kuler.com :)good luck :wub:

Thanks for that guys, helps alot. i'll get hold of some of the standards so that it will help you lot more.the name nextstep is supposed to be lowercase bold, which is a problem when linking in a menu.

• 2 weeks later...

Two things that I noticed 1. The "Terms and Conditions" Link at the top looks a bit off because it is on two lines, maybe you could redo the sizing so it is all on one line.2. This one is just a personal thing, but you might look at putting the pictures that are currently just above the main text at the top next to the logo. Then move the menu that is currently at the top to just above main text, I think that might give it a bit more streamlined and professional look.

What I noticed when the page loaded is that it looks at first-glance like those search engines that appear on a webpage that is no longer online. Know what I mean? I don't a url for any examples, but it makes the site appear at firs to be inactive, or irrelevant. Change the fonts to verdana, looks like they have arial or something like that, which always looks very amateur on websites. Also, make the backgrounds, headers and sidebars etc, subtle but noticeable.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmmmmmmmmm...I like it but it seems like there are way too many links. Condense it down to 5-6 categories and work from there. Other than that, well done.

Archived