Visual studio

Html

Umm... we can provide (unofficial and maybe incomplete) support for it, if thats what you mean...I don't suppose we as a whole endorse it, though some members may recommend it :)

Yes anything of that?But why Basic?
BASIC (Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) is a programming language, that Visual Basic and many other languages was based on. They're not the same though. So this is a forum spesifically for whoever still use BASIC, typically for CGI-scripts (thus the heading under the CGI category).

Yes anything of that?But why Basic?
I have no idea what you are asking.EDIT. Nevermind I am just slow. Yes it is for the language BASIC not some general forum for basic cgi coding.

BASIC has had many incarnations, while it did originate around the 1980s 1960s there are modern versions such as Visual Basic .NET 2008. It is ... well, relatively basic to learn, though the modern versions still support most current programming concepts such as object-orientation and inheritance.You can use VB(.NET) as a language in ASP(.NET) scripts, which can be used for web pages that will be displayed on modile devices. Devices using Windows Mobile can also (I think) run programs made in VB.NET.

BASIC was designed in the 60s (1964) by some teachers as a way to provide access to computers to non-scientific people, so they designed it to be easy to use. It's not very powerful though. Keep that in mind though - BASIC is a language that was designed for people who were not programmers. If you know how to program there's pretty much always a better alternative then BASIC.

Does anyone know if it supports in anyway mobile devices?
I'm sure you can find some sort of API and compiler that will let you write a BASIC program for a mobile platform, but why someone would want to do that is anyone's guess. Visual Studio might have a set of APIs for working with Windows Mobile, I'm not sure. I would imagine it does.You're asking all these questions about mobile devices, what is it specifically that you're trying to create for a mobile device?

Also, just so you're aware, a programming language doesn't really support a platform, a platform supports a language. You can write applications that will run on Windows Mobile using any language that has a compiler for Windows Mobile or an environment to run in. I'm almost positive that there's at least one compiler for something like C++ that will let you create native Windows Mobile applications, and then there are environments like .NET, Java, Flash etc that can probably all run on Windows Mobile. Obviously .NET can, I know Flash can, and there's probably a version of the Java virtual machine for Windows Mobile (although I've never looked into it). You can write software with a lot of languages for a lot of platforms, and which language to use really depends on what you're trying to do. You wouldn't want to use Java to create a game, and you probably wouldn't want to use Flash to create a client/server application.

• 2 years later...
You wouldn't want to use Java to create a game
What's your reasoning behind that statement? If you'd state a professional game for e.g. e-commerce, that would be true. Simple games that do not require hardware acceleration or 3D, could be very fun in Java.

Please try not to resurrect really really old threads...

Archived