Using PHP to detect user javascript settings

SmokingMan

Can you use PHP to check a user's browser settings to see if javascript has been enabled, and then use a re-direct to another page if they have javascript disabled? I've looked over tutorials and on the PHP.net site and can't find any reference to this. :)

I didn't feel like checking any PHP things but JavaScript can do that itself.This would go on the page that is non-java script:

<script type="text/javascript"><!--//self.location.href = "(other page)";//--></script>

Might not work the way your thinking of. Idk :)

I have tried using java script:

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">        document.onload = function(){        document.getElementById('content').style.display='block';      }      </script>            <noscript>This page requires JavaScript to be enabled. Please enable it in your browsers settings.</noscript>            <div id="content" style="display:none">            ... html            </div>

...but with mixed results, and none that I liked. That's why I thought I'd see if PHP would do the trick for me. I need for people to have javascript enabled for all of the features to work. If they have javascript disabled, I want to re-direct them to a page to tell them they need to enable javascript. But I wasn't sure if PHP had the capability to check the user's browser settings and re=direct depending on the results.

As you can tell from my postings, I'm new at this. But I thought about this and decided since PHP is server side scripting, all PHP code is executed prior to knowing anything about the browser.Correct me if I'm off.my 2 cents,-Gal

As you can tell from my postings, I'm new at this. But I thought about this and decided since PHP is server side scripting, all PHP code is executed prior to knowing anything about the browser.Correct me if I'm off.my 2 cents,-Gal
I'm new to PHP also, that's why I asked :)

PHP doesn't know anything that happens on the client side, except for information that some browsers send upon requesting a page, like the HTTP referer and User Agent.I usually design my Javascript applications so that the page works well even without Javascript.

its possible, but not on the first page that gets visited right awayjavascript can save cookies, so just let javascript set a cookie, then on the next page with php you can see if theres a cookie, if javascript is disabled, there wont be a cookie

in java script:function createCookie(name,value,days){	if(days){var date=new Date();		date.setTime(date.getTime()+(days*24*60*60*1000));		var expires="; expires="+date.toGMTString();	}	else{var expires="";}	document.cookie=name+"="+value+expires+"; path=/";}createcookie('js_enabled',true,90);in php on the page after that:if(isset($_COOKIE['js_enabled'])){   // javascript is enabled}

PHP doesn't know anything that happens on the client side, except for information that some browsers send upon requesting a page, like the HTTP referer and User Agent.I usually design my Javascript applications so that the page works well even without Javascript.
The page will work without javascript enabled. They will be able to navigate with no problem. It's just that not everything embedded in the page will work. If PHP won't work, I'll work it out with javascript.Thanks :)

I usually do something like this:

<div id="js_warn">This page requires Javascript</div><script type="text/javascript">document.getElementById('js_warn').style.display = 'none';</script>

If Javascript is enabled then they won't see that message.

Archived