CSS table issue

Guest FirefoxRocks

Guest FirefoxRocks

Ok I am using Safari's minimal table approach for a quick fix to a problem. The design did work with <div> in Firefox and Safari but it couldn't work in IE 7 or 8 and I didn't want to write lots of IE-specific code so I just used the minimal tables approach to solve this problem. But it still doesn't work good in IE!!The page can be found here (ignore the data, it will be filled in in September, the layout needs to be completed by next week though): http://www.norwossa.com/boyshockey/index.xmlUsing Safari or Firefox, the page is looks as intended with few variations that are barely noticable and acceptable. In IE, there is a wide padding between the <td id="left"> and <td id="body">. I explicitly specified the width of the left <td> to be 202 pixels but using IE's developer tool, it says that the width is 233px!! Why is this happening? In IE 8, it looks perfect. In IE 7, not so good.You can't look at the source of this one though, it is an XML file. The source can be viewed by this transformation: http://www.norwossa.com/boyshockey/index3.xsl.Also, if someone could use IE 5.5 or IE 6 and tell me if it looks ok there that would be excellent.Thank you,FirefoxRocks

Guest FirefoxRocks

Yes but using tables ensures maximum compatibility among browsers, even though it isn't the best way to do things and is semantically incorrect.

I don't know much about XML or anything, but I do know table layouts are a big no no. I know it sucks, but you're probably going to have to deal with writing a bunch of code and fixes to make the files look good in all browser. As for an answer to your problem, reverting back and writing a bunch of IE Specific code might be the fastest solution. But quick fixes usually cause major problems as soon as the content is changed. I strongly suggest a tableless layout and as much of a pure CSS solution as you can. And then if there's no alternative, IE specific code might have to be implemented.