Help needed for project

nsayoo

Hi all,We are going to develop an interactive learning software which will teach algorithms for students(something similar to typing tutor). We have some background idea on what we are going to do. But we dont have a detailed idea to implement it. Can anybody suggest on how we can implement it? (also we are planning to do it in the .NET platform)... and on some other useful ideas.Here I will give you some more about how we thought on our system. As stated earlier its basically an interactive learning software which teaches algorithms( computer science). In which we are going to develop a standalone software which will have a GUI. Each user can log-in to it and start learning the algorithms. In the learning process we are going to achieve learning each algorithm with a step by step approach. Which comprises of steps such as graphical demonstration of the algorithms, pseudo code, implementation in 3 languages, real applications of that particular algorithm and a graphical visualiser which will compare similar algorithms and display its perfomance and complexity and so on... In between to make learning easier we also going to integrate a quiz system which will evaluate the learner and so on. So We need some help to successfully do this project( hopefully finish this project). If anyone can give some more ideas on the technical side as well as the implementation side, it would be a great thing to all.thanx

The company I work for makes interactive online training, and we use Flash for everything. You could do that in .NET, but there will be a lot of page loading. With Flash it's a little easier to get instant feedback on what you're trying to learn.That's a pretty major project though. For comparison, we charge about $28,800 to produce a 1-hour training course. Most of that is writing and media production. I believe it takes us about 360 hours to produce 1 hour of runtime.

The company I work for makes interactive online training, and we use Flash for everything. You could do that in .NET, but there will be a lot of page loading. With Flash it's a little easier to get instant feedback on what you're trying to learn.That's a pretty major project though. For comparison, we charge about $28,800 to produce a 1-hour training course. Most of that is writing and media production. I believe it takes us about 360 hours to produce 1 hour of runtime.
Sorry, I couldn't get the below statement. Can you explain furthermore. For comparison, we charge about $28,800 to produce a 1-hour training course. Most of that is writing and media production...and also can I do it only with using flash or can I integrate flash with .NET. I need further explanation on this. Can you help me out to solve this? Also I would like to get time to time advice from you about interactive training. We are doing interactive learning software NOT ONLINE TRAINING. Its a standalone software. So would it be possible to do it in flash??

You can make a standalone application with Flash, it's called a projector. I haven't tried to integrate Flash with .NET before.

Sorry, I couldn't get the below statement. Can you explain furthermore. For comparison, we charge about $28,800 to produce a 1-hour training course. Most of that is writing and media production...
I mean the company I work for charges a customer $28,800 to create a training course that takes the student 1 hour to finish.

You can make a standalone application with Flash, it's called a projector. I haven't tried to integrate Flash with .NET before.I mean the company I work for charges a customer $28,800 to create a training course that takes the student 1 hour to finish.
Thank you very much.I hope to get some ideas from you in future. Can you send some tutorials which describes how to do it? ... It would be help full.Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of tutorial are you looking for? The content developers here all have some sort of degree in art and we've been developing our courseware code for several years. We don't really use tutorials, we just figure out what we want to do and how to do it.

can I integrate flash with .NET.
When people say statements like this, it really makes me think they don't know what they're talking about. It's like saying "Can I receive food from my home refrigirator within my car (currently at the workplace)?".OK, if it's not an online training course...
Each user can log-in to it
where exactly are users going to log into? Still on your server (and thus, I suppose internet conneciton will still be required)?If so, then you can still make your desktop program connect to your DB server remotely, fetch account details from there, and act accordingly. You can use Visual Studio to create the actual GUI, but you'll still have to get your hands dirty by writing some VB/C#/JS code into the app that will actually connect to the DB. The actual API you'd use depends on the type of the database you'll be using. If you really know .NET (and since you're teaching it, you should), this part should be a breeze to you.As far as Flash goes, it's more suitable for video lessons. Interactive, sandboxed applications can be made as well though, so if you feel like learning it, so be it. Just beware that you're entering a whole new realm (figuratively speaking). I'd stay on .NET ground if I were you.

• 2 weeks later...
since you embed Flash into HTML with the <object> tag and .Net and every other server side language renders to HTML then Yes!
he's not talking about developing a web page he's talking about a whole piece of software (this isnt really the forum for it but still...).

can I integrate flash with .NET.
You could make your own .NET Flash control if you wanted, I suppose...

How i recommend you do it is you break each tutorial into several seperate "pages", one for each part of the tutorial (eg pseudo code, language-specific implementation etc.), and create a UserControl forms control for each page. you may also find it helpful to have a UserControl as a system-wide standard for each type of page, not linked to any specific tutorial, and then have each page in a tutorial inherit from its standard. then you would want a windows form (window) to view pages in, and a bit of code which moves through each tutorial and page and saves the users progress.Another way would be to again set out a system-wide standard for each type of page and the encode every actual page as an XML document, with a custom-built renderer which loads each page and renders it onto a new instance of that UserControl. This would probably be the best alternative if you have a lot of tutorials, as saves a lot of space (a .NET usercontrol will probably add more file size to your program file than would be taken up by an XML document doing the same job).

Archived