the illusive ALT attibute

george

The alt attibute in an image tag works great. It would be great if I could have an "alt" attribute for a button, or a cell in a table. I know I can capture an onmouseover event with either of these, but then how do I display a message? No alert box for this, I need a message to be like a hint or alt message. I don't want to have to write a routine to display a hidden message on rollover, because the alt and the hint already do that. In standard javascript is there a hint attibute?

I think you may be looking for the "title" attribute.

<button title="Click me to alert something!" onclick="alert('something');">Click Me!</button>

The title is actually the standard way to do what you want for all elements; alt is for when an image can't be displayed (i.e. because it wasn't found or the medium doesn't support images - like Braille or voice readers) and you need to describe it to the user. If an image doesn't have a title, it will default to its alt attribute instead.

The title is actually the standard way to do what you want for all elements; alt is for when an image can't be displayed (i.e. because it wasn't found or the medium doesn't support images - like Braille or voice readers) and you need to describe it to the user. If an image doesn't have a title, it will default to its alt attribute instead.
If an image doesn't have a title attribute it shouldn't show anything in the tooltip. Internet Explorer is the only browser that displays a tooltip using the alt attribute.

LOL, woops. I guess I haven't tested that since I started using Firefox. My Webmastering teacher always used alt as title, but then I heard about title and assumed that he was halfway correct. (That's the same teacher that told everyone to use tables for layout, lol...)

Archived