Permenant password holding?

MonkeySee

Hey, I've recently had a look at my router (specifically the settings page) and wondered how it holds my password.I looked at the page source and it has my password as "XXXXXXXX" - which obviously isn't my password. So I was wondering, how does it hold my password if it isn't on that page, would I be able to retrieve the password & how it sends the actual password to the ISP while showing me a fake password.Any help is much appreciated :) Have a nice day,MonkeySee.

It isn't on that page. It is in its memory. The display has a password attribute which sets the password to X's or *'s. If you could see the password then so could anyone else with access. The only way to do anything with it is to reset it back to the factory settings and then reset it

It isn't on that page. It is in its memory. The display has a password attribute which sets the password to X's or *'s. If you could see the password then so could anyone else with access. The only way to do anything with it is to reset it back to the factory settings and then reset it
Wow, thanks for the info :) Routers have memory? I never knew :-P That explains a lot haha. So if someone had remote access to my router they couldn't somehow 'recover' my internet password?

Archived