Silverlight and Java?

SpaceMan

All that hype is coming from Microsoft and MS bloggers. In reality Adobe is/has matched some of the most appealing features and Apple is working to reduce Flash and Silverlight usage altogether by refusing to support them on the iPhone and porting their own RIA platform, Cocoa to Windows and pushing for open rich web applications instead of proprietary plugins.What is boils down to is Silverlight is another plugin like Flash. It will only take off if users are willing to install it. Surprisingly MS has made some efforts to make SL somewhat platform independant but I can't see it ever killing Flash at least not anytime soon. Not many developers trust MS anymore and will go out of their way to avoid SL altogether.

:) what do you feel is web-java-based but inappropriate for that forum? Give an example.You can discuss applets there too.

Actually, Silverlight 1.0 is already final, and is even distributed in Microsoft Update as an optional update.But I agree that we don't need Silverlight forum here... not until it really takes off, which I don't see happening.If anything, the Flash forum could be renamed to "Plug-ins (Flash, Silverlight, Cocoa, etc.)", and we'll be over with it. I mean, there are not many people here that know these things, so such a forum is doomed to be empty.I do like some of Silverlight's features though. In particular, the automatic bitrate calculation... But I'm not sure if this was a Silverlight 2.0 feature. Still, it sounds great, and I'm really hoping to see it in Flash some day. Imagine - while you're watching a video, instead of waiting for the "HD" video to load while looking at a "Buffering..." message, you'll keep watching it, only it will be with slightly worse quality, down to what is appropriate for your speed.

Actually, Silverlight 1.0 is already final, and is even distributed in Microsoft Update as an optional update.But I agree that we don't need Silverlight forum here... not until it really takes off, which I don't see happening.If anything, the Flash forum could be renamed to "Plug-ins (Flash, Silverlight, Cocoa, etc.)", and we'll be over with it. I mean, there are not many people here that know these things, so such a forum is doomed to be empty.I do like some of Silverlight's features though. In particular, the automatic bitrate calculation... But I'm not sure if this was a Silverlight 2.0 feature. Still, it sounds great, and I'm really hoping to see it in Flash some day. Imagine - while you're watching a video, instead of waiting for the "HD" video to load while looking at a "Buffering..." message, you'll keep watching it, only it will be with slightly worse quality, down to what is appropriate for your speed.
Silverlight 1 really is a joke. It is part plugin part JavaScript library. It wasn't very useful or easy to use. SL 2.0 (beta 2 right now) is set to be much better with user controls (kinda like ASP.Net controls) and the elimination of the javascript dependency. To me, not liking Flash much either, I won't be jumping into SL. For now, if I am offering a web-based app it will be using web standard technologies.

Archived