layout with divs

lugos

Hello,I am trying to layout my webpage using divs instead of tables. The way I have it layed out now displays just like I want it to in Firefox, but does not display the same in IE. The only way I can get the boxes to display in their proper positions for IE is to shorten the width of either the pageBody or the newsDev div, or increasing the width of the centered div. But then that creates some space between the pageBody div and the newsDev div, which is not what I want. Am I missing a position or clear property? I've pasted my html and css code. Any help getting it to display in IE correctly would be greatly appreciated.html:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"><head><title></title><link rel="stylesheet" href="div_layout_styles.css" type="text/css" /><script type="text/javascript"><!-- HIDE FROM INCOMPATIBLE BROWSERS// STOP HIDING FROM INCOMPATIBLE BROWSERS --></script><style type="text/css"></style></head><body><div id="container">  <div id="centered">    <div class="banner">         </div>    <div class="newsDev">         </div>    <div class="navigation">	     </div>    <div class="pageBody">         </div>    <div class="footer">         </div>  </div></div></body></html>

css:

body {	border-collapse: collapse;	font-family: verdana, arial, sans-serif;	font-size: 11px;	font-variant: small-caps;}#container {	width: 100%;	height: 700px;	text-align: center;}#centered {	width: 700px;	text-align: left;	margin: 10px auto 0 auto;}.banner {	height: 140px;	background-color: red;	margin: 0;}.navigation {	height: 20px;	width: 500px;	margin: 0;	background-color: green;}.pageBody {	height: 360px;	width: 500px;	margin: 0;	background-color: blue;}.newsDev {	width: 200px;	height: 380px;	margin: 0;	background-color: yellow;	float: right;}.footer {	width: 700px;	height: 125px;	margin: 0;	background-color: black;	border-top: 1px solid white;}

Thanks,lugos

I never like working with DIV's I find tables a lot more easier, anywho, your problem was that the cells needed at float property for the navigation, body and footer in the CSS. Here you go:

body {border-collapse: collapse;font-family: verdana, arial, sans-serif;font-size: 11px;font-variant: small-caps;}#container {width: 100%;height: 700px;text-align: center;}#centered {width: 700px;text-align: left;margin: 10px auto 0 auto;}.banner {height: 140px;background-color: red;margin: 0;}.navigation {height: 20px;width: 500px;margin: 0;background-color: green;float: left;}.pageBody {height: 360px;width: 500px;margin: 0;background-color: blue;float: left;}.newsDev {width: 200px;height: 380px;margin: 0;background-color: yellow;float: right;}.footer {width: 700px;height: 125px;margin: 0;background-color: black;border-top: 1px solid white;float: right;}

Beucase it doesn't have a float property. If it did, the banner div will change position... and you're welcome. :)