Catering for different screen res?

incorruptus

Hi guys, I was reading through some articles on the web about catering for different screen resolutions when designing a site, Im currently designing for 1027 x 768, but on the article they said fixing the res sucks for smaller screens cause the browser would have to scroll horizontally the whole time... They did mention working with percentages vs. px dimensions. Would anyone recommend this or should I stick to a fixed ratio like 1027 x 768. And if I should use percentages - how should I declare it in my body tag and throughout my code?Thanks guys!

Well, first of all, it's 1024, not 1027. You shouldn't make things exactly 1024 pixels wide even if that's the resolution your visitors do use.You can give it a width of 960px, or 760 of the users have 800x600 resolution.And if you want a flexible layout don't assign any width to the containing div, and instead give it a margin on the left and right. For example, 20 pixels of margin, and the div will extend until it reaches 20 pixels from the edge of the screen, no matter how wide the screen is.

And if I should use percentages - how should I declare it in my body tag and throughout my code?
Before you start anything look at the W3Schools CSS tutorial

Archived