Empty Variable

Manny

I am redesigning my site and changing code from HTML to PHP SQL using a database to retrieve news articles.Now, this is a link that would work because the number of the variable is located in the database. (/news/?id=158)However, when the variable is left empty (ie. (/news/?id=) ) or a number is entered that isn't in the database, the user gets a blank screen.What do I need to enter that would redirect them to my 404 page.

I suppose you're using a query.Perform the query:$id = intval($_GET['id']);$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM table WHERE id={$id}");And then if nothing is found (number of rows in the query equal to 0), you redirect them, but do it before any content is written to the page because you're sending headers:if(!mysql_num_rows($query)) {header("Location: otherpage.html");}

Here is a cut-down version of my code to show what I've done.

<? $id = $_GET["id"];?> <? $dbserverIP="localhost";$dbusername="USERNAME";$dbuserpassword="PASSWORD";$connection = mysql_connect($dbserverIP,$dbusername,$dbuserpassword) or die("Couldn't connect to the dbserver."); $dbname="DATABASE";$dbselectok = mysql_select_db($dbname,$connection) or die("Couldn't select database.");$sqlstatement = "SELECT * FROM `TABLE` WHERE `ID` = '$id'";$sql_result = mysql_query($sqlstatement,$connection) or die("<BR /><BR /><span class=\"c3\">Page could not be displayed.</span>");while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql_result)){VARIABLESprint "CONTENT";}?>
I tried what you said but it seems as though I've done it differently. The code above works when the variable is valid, but when it isn't a white screen appears.

You're missing the intval() call, which is the key thing here. Regardless of what you put in intval(), it will return an integer - thus, it's valid in the query.I'd personally also check if the variable is empty though, as otherwise, you may see an unidentified index warning.

$id = empty($_GET['id']) ? intval($_GET['id']) : 0);

In addition, you're also missing the condition. Put it before the while loop.

Archived