what do you think?

jamesr1ley

I would suggest changing the backgrounds of the different parts of the website, so that it is easier to navigate. With everything using the same light blue gradient background, it looks like it's all plopped together and the user feels lost and does not know where to start.And, if it's possible, turn the volume down on the intro sound effect, it spooked me a lot, lol.Hope that helps!

I would suggest changing the backgrounds of the different parts of the website, so that it is easier to navigate. With everything using the same light blue gradient background, it looks like it's all plopped together and the user feels lost and does not know where to start.And, if it's possible, turn the volume down on the intro sound effect, it spooked me a lot, lol.Hope that helps!
Yeah the music is freaky. The problem is people arent going to visit the site frequently so it has to be memorable. As annoying as that noise is it helps you to remember the site. Some people have better memories when linked to sounds.Again the blue is on the same line of thought.People will find a flat and then forget about the site for a year or so.I have tried to test the site with basic users and they have said they find the site easy to use. Maybe for advanced users expecting a standard layout it is quite confusing so I should maybe look into that.Thanks for the input :-)

Yeah the music is freaky. The problem is people arent going to visit the site frequently so it has to be memorable. As annoying as that noise is it helps you to remember the site. Some people have better memories when linked to sounds.
:) it also helps people really want to leave the site quicker! But I can't hear it in FF 3 - did you remove it?The blue isn't too bad... the contrast between text and bg is a bit low though. Also, try using one font only.I think the menu at he top-right is in a weird place too. Try placing it on the left with the rest of the links.Finally, if you have time try creating a non-tabled layout :)

You should re-format the text. Also, set both the left and right margins to 1cm. I also hate the Flash (generally speaking) and the colors could have been chosen better.Overall it's ok, about 8/10 :)

You should re-format the text. Also, set both the left and right margins to 1cm. I also hate the Flash (generally speaking) and the colors could have been chosen better.Overall it's ok, about 8/10 :)
So you think changing the flash to a static image is a better plan?

:) it also helps people really want to leave the site quicker! But I can't hear it in FF 3 - did you remove it?The blue isn't too bad... the contrast between text and bg is a bit low though. Also, try using one font only.I think the menu at he top-right is in a weird place too. Try placing it on the left with the rest of the links.Finally, if you have time try creating a non-tabled layout :)
TBH that menu on the top right is largely redundant now and so combined with the comments about the flash I may strongly consider replacing it with an image. The only thing is the flash has a wow effect with novice web users. However flash annoys the experienced user. Maybe I could have flash on the home page, an new one though, and then have a static image on the other pages.You should still get sound but only on the home page. maybe its not ff3 compatable. :-) why do you miss it now?thanks for the helpful comments I am beginning to see where I need to work

You can leave the Flash there. Like I said, you should re-format the text (I also have this problem. also, re-formatting means other fonts, other colours, other sizes), and set the margin to 1cm (both right and left).Also, I see that it's based on another template (damn... I've got this obsession of viewing the source code of every single page. God knows why...). My advice is to learn coding for yourself, and you'll get way better results. Trust me! I was also used to download templates, but since I've started learing XHTML/CSS to a higher level, the freedom is incomparable.I also advice you to validate your web pages (or at least, make sure they are valid). The Markup has 2 mistakes and about 5 warnings, while the CSS has more than 30 errors. Work on that!You should change the colours to some darker ones (not black or grey, but a darkblue, for example), and the font should be smaller, bold, and here are some useful advices:

• NEVER use Times New RomanUse Georgia for h1 & titles (28px. my recommandation)Use Arial 10px for paragraphsUse Verdana for h2 (12px)

You can leave the Flash there. Like I said, you should re-format the text (I also have this problem. also, re-formatting means other fonts, other colours, other sizes), and set the margin to 1cm (both right and left).Also, I see that it's based on another template (damn... I've got this obsession of viewing the source code of every single page. God knows why...). My advice is to learn coding for yourself, and you'll get way better results. Trust me! I was also used to download templates, but since I've started learing XHTML/CSS to a higher level, the freedom is incomparable.I also advice you to validate your web pages (or at least, make sure they are valid). The Markup has 2 mistakes and about 5 warnings, while the CSS has more than 30 errors. Work on that!You should change the colours to some darker ones (not black or grey, but a darkblue, for example), and the font should be smaller, bold, and here are some useful advices:
  • NEVER use Times New RomanUse Georgia for h1 & titles (28px. my recommandation)Use Arial 10px for paragraphsUse Verdana for h2 (12px)

Ideally I want to do a full revamp of the code and migrate to a full css system. In the mean time I have this mish mash which is full of errors. Its going to take a lot of work to really nail because really i need to start from scratch with all the templates down. At the moment I am working on my data feed. Which is a lot of work. But next I definitely want to work on this.So any advice about how and what to do is useful. Like you said hopefully when it is in place the site should be a lot easier to work with in future.hopefully :) thanks for all that!

Archived