Another Problem

ThePsion5

Hi again. I created a table in MySQL using the following statements:

CREATE TABLE ClientsToKeywords(ClientToKeywordID INTEGER NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,ClientID INTEGER NOT NULL,KeywordID INTEGER NOT NULL,Rating INTEGER,CONSTRAINT PRIMARY KEY (ClientToKeywordID),CONSTRAINT FOREIGN KEY (ClientID) REFERENCES Clients(ClientID),CONSTRAINT FOREIGN KEY (KeywordID) REFERENES Keywords (KeywordID),CONSTRAINT UNIQUE (ClientID, KeywordID),) AUTO_INCREMENT = 0;

During the process of populating the database with some test data, i try and enter any one of these statement:

INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 0, 2, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 0, 5, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 0, 0, 4);

And recieve this error:

ERROR 1452 (23000): Cannot add or update a child row: a foreign key constraint fails ('test3/clientstokeywords', CONSTRAINT FOREIGN KEY ('ClientID') REFERENCES 'clients' ('ClientID'))

Unfortunately, I'm new to databases, and I don't understand why this would happen. Any help?

first off if ClientToKeywordID is the PK then you can only have one ClientToKeywordID with the value of 0.What the error is saying is that since ClientID is a FK to Clients > ClientID (you are trying to insert a value of 0 for ClientID) there must be a record in Clients with the value of ClientID equal to 0...the error is saying you do not have such a record.By making ClientID a FK to Clients > ClientID you cannot place any ClientID in ClientToKeywordID that does not exist in Clients > ClientID.I hope I explained that well.

first off if ClientToKeywordID is the PK then you can only have one ClientToKeywordID with the value of 0.What the error is saying is that since ClientID is a FK to Clients > ClientID (you are trying to insert a value of 0 for ClientID) there must be a record in Clients with the value of ClientID equal to 0...the error is saying you do not have such a record.By making ClientID a FK to Clients > ClientID you cannot place any ClientID in ClientToKeywordID that does not exist in Clients > ClientID.I hope I explained that well.

The ClientID is set to auto-increment if a value of 0 or null is entered, and previous to that I had inserted values into both the Client and Keyword tables, so I don't see how this is a problem...Would it help if I told you that I was using MySQL version 5.0.16?

not really but it would help if you posted the structure and full contents of the Clients and ClientsToKeyboards tables.

Here's the exact syntax I used to create the database:
CREATE DATABASE ESiteTest3;USE ESiteTest3;CREATE TABLE Clients(ClientID INTEGER NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,SugarID CHAR(36),ClientName CHAR(60) NOT NULL,ClientWebsite CHAR(60) NOT NULL,NumKeywords INTEGER DEFAULT 0,CONSTRAINT Client_PK PRIMARY KEY (ClientID),CONSTRAINT ClientName_Unique UNIQUE (ClientID),CONSTRAINT ClienWeb_Unique UNIQUE (ClientWebsite)) AUTO_INCREMENT = 0;CREATE TABLE Keywords(KeywordID INTEGER NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,Keyword CHAR(60) NOT NULL,NumClients INTEGER DEFAULT 0,CONSTRAINT Keyword_PK PRIMARY KEY (KeywordID),CONSTRAINT Keyword_Unique UNIQUE (KeywordID, Keyword)) AUTO_INCREMENT = 0;CREATE TABLE ClientsToKeywords(ClientToKeywordID INTEGER NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,ClientID INTEGER NOT NULL,KeywordID INTEGER NOT NULL,Rating INTEGER,CONSTRAINT ClientToKeyword_PK PRIMARY KEY (ClientToKeywordID),CONSTRAINT ClientID_FK FOREIGN KEY (ClientID) REFERENCES Clients(ClientID),CONSTRAINT KeywordID_FK FOREIGN KEY (KeywordID) REFERENCES Keywords(KeywordID),CONSTRAINT ClientToKeywordID_Unique UNIQUE (ClientToKeywordID),CONSTRAINT ClientToKeywordRelationship_Unique UNIQUE (ClientID, KeywordID),CONSTRAINT ClientToKeywordRating_Check CHECK (rating >=0 AND rating <= 5)) AUTO_INCREMENT = 0;

And I use this code to populate it with test data:

INSERT INTO Clients VALUES(0, "", "El Doomo Industries", "www.eldoomo.com", 0);INSERT INTO Clients VALUES(0, "", "Fartknocker Inc.", "www.######.com", 0);INSERT INTO Clients VALUES(0, "", "Alien Empire", "www.aempire.net", 0);INSERT INTO Clients VALUES(0, "", "Redemption!", "www.redemption.com1", 0);INSERT INTO Clients VALUES(0, "", "The Sandwitchery", "www.sandwitchery.com", 0);INSERT INTO Clients VALUES(0, "", "Cornfries for the Heart", "www.ctfh.com", 0);INSERT INTO Clients VALUES(0, "", "Happytimes Personal Counseling", "www.happytimes.org", 0);INSERT INTO Clients VALUES(0, "", "Alliance Software", "www.alliance.com", 0);INSERT INTO Clients VALUES(0, "", "Ninja Inc.", "www.ninja.com", 0);INSERT INTO Keywords VALUES(0, "Doom", 0);INSERT INTO Keywords VALUES(0, "Unpleasant", 0);INSERT INTO Keywords VALUES(0, "Evil", 0);INSERT INTO Keywords VALUES(0, "Foriegners", 0);INSERT INTO Keywords VALUES(0, "Silence", 0);INSERT INTO Keywords VALUES(0, "Video Games", 0);INSERT INTO Keywords VALUES(0, "Food", 0);INSERT INTO Keywords VALUES(0, "Happiness", 0);INSERT INTO Keywords VALUES(0, "Coolness", 0);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 0, 0, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 1, 0, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 3, 0, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 5, 0, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 8, 0, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 3, 1, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 5, 1, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 2, 1, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 1, 1, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 0, 2, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 2, 2, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 5, 2, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 2, 3, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 8, 3, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 5, 4, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 6, 4, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 8, 4, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 0, 5, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 7, 5, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 8, 5, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 4, 6, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 5, 6, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 3, 7, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 7, 7, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 7, 8, 4);INSERT INTO ClientsToKeywords VALUES(0, 8, 8, 4);

I hope this helps!

it boils down to you cannot insert 0 or null into ClientID of the ClientsToKeyboards table because there is not record in Clients where ClientID equals 0 or null because it ClientID of Clients is set to auto increment.If ClientID was not a FK of ClientsToKeyboards it would work but since it is a FK it will not.We can discuss this all day but those are the facts, you cannot do it.

it boils down to you cannot insert 0 or null into ClientID of the ClientsToKeyboards table because there is not record in Clients where ClientID equals 0 or null because it ClientID of Clients is set to auto increment.If ClientID was not a FK of ClientsToKeyboards it would work but since it is a FK it will not.We can discuss this all day but those are the facts, you cannot do it.

Ah, I think I see what the problem is...when I set the auto-increment value to 0 the first value actually inserted into the ClientID in the Clients table was 1, not 0 as I thought. This should clear everything up.Thanks for the help :)