PhpMyAdmin directory upload to access database

son

Just in process of setting up a database on live server I came across the note that 'a complete PhpMyAdmin directory has to be uploaded in order to guarantee access to the MySQL database'. What would I need to do? In previous installations with different hosting companies there was PHPMyAdmin already available. What would I need to upload?Son

You can download phpMyAdmin and install it yourself, there's a link in my signature.
But what do they mean with 'uploaded'? I upload it to the web server and install it there? Kind of confusing...Son

Upload means you transfer the files to the server. I believe the phpMyAdmin package contains a folder or file for installation or setup that you can run to get everything set up after you upload it, it's been a while since I've installed it last so I can't remember specifically. But check for a readme or install text file in the phpMyAdmin folder that contains the instructions about how to set it up.

Upload means you transfer the files to the server. I believe the phpMyAdmin package contains a folder or file for installation or setup that you can run to get everything set up after you upload it, it's been a while since I've installed it last so I can't remember specifically. But check for a readme or install text file in the phpMyAdmin folder that contains the instructions about how to set it up.
Will try. But is it normal you have to install programs on your web space? I never had to do this as they usually provide phpMyAdmin and similar...Son

But is it normal you have to install programs on your web space? I never had to do this as they usually provide phpMyAdmin and similar...
Yes - your other hosts have just been kind. Think of it like installing a blog system or a bulletin board.

Yes - your other hosts have just been kind. Think of it like installing a blog system or a bulletin board.
I hope it is the same as installing on local machine, I have done this once...Son

But is it normal you have to install programs on your web space?
Depends on the web space. Ideally, you can do anything you want. I have one server where I can reboot the server myself if I want to, I can ship them hardware and have them install it, I can install any software I want. Don't think of as a bad thing, like you *have* to install things, think of it as you *can* install whatever you want. Other hosts don't let you install anything, what they give you is what you have to use and that's it.

Depends on the web space. Ideally, you can do anything you want. I have one server where I can reboot the server myself if I want to, I can ship them hardware and have them install it, I can install any software I want. Don't think of as a bad thing, like you *have* to install things, think of it as you *can* install whatever you want. Other hosts don't let you install anything, what they give you is what you have to use and that's it.
Will try to see it that way. Just a pain as I am extremely busy and thought I can just change config file and import all existing tables, but guess that is how it goes;-)Son

Will try to see it that way. Just a pain as I am extremely busy and thought I can just change config file and import all existing tables, but guess that is how it goes;-)Son
Downloaded the files and read documentation. Seems not as bad as I thought. As far as I understand the only thing I had to do is to create a config.inc.php, saved in top level of phpmyadmin folder. Once this is done I have to upload the whole content of phpmyadmin folder into root level of live server. Looking at values for config.inc.php I am a bit confused about the user and the security aspect. I have the following:
$cfg['blowfish_secret'] = 'password';$i = 0;$i++;/* Authentication type */$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'host address';$cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';$cfg['Servers'][$i]['compress'] = false;$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysqli';$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser'] = 'username';$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass'] = 'password'; 

They say you have to give controluser and controlpass if you want to use cookie or http authentication. It will be just me working on those files and I have been given a username and password to access the database. Does this mean I give for controluser and controlpass those credentials with the blowfish_secret also being the given password? In addition, is this not unsafe to store in config.inc.php? Could not potentially someone check that file?Son

There should be a setup.php script you can run to create the config file. The control user and control pass are the credentials you enter to log in to phpMyAdmin. The blowfish secret is for encryption, you can set that to any random value. One of my installs it is set to "44a167ac2625b5.89210117", it's just a value like a key that it uses for the blowfish encryption algorithm.

In addition, is this not unsafe to store in config.inc.php? Could not potentially someone check that file?
How would they do that? If you open config.inc.php in a web browser what do you see?

There should be a setup.php script you can run to create the config file. The control user and control pass are the credentials you enter to log in to phpMyAdmin. The blowfish secret is for encryption, you can set that to any random value. One of my installs it is set to "44a167ac2625b5.89210117", it's just a value like a key that it uses for the blowfish encryption algorithm.How would they do that? If you open config.inc.php in a web browser what do you see?
I think it is all uploaded fine. Did a test login and was able to:-) Just one more thing, I uploaded the all language version. This wastes a lot of space, I just thought about it. Is the English only version ok when the developer is English speaking?Son

Archived